1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALL KNOWING BEEBS!!! help me identify this pistol and sabre

Discussion in 'General' started by repsol600, Jun 2, 2011.

1. repsol600

repsol600 Well-Known Member

so my dad has this really, really old revolver and sword that were handed down to him from his grandfather. what hes been told is that they are from the civil war era. figure i would post em up to see if anybody can recognize them. oh and i apologize in advance for shoddy photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

take them on pawn stars, have to be worth at least 100 bucks :D

3. repsol600

^ha ya, oh wait they may have to get a professional to look at it so they know exactly what there looking at :rolleyes:

4. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, 'cause the majority of everything they see is a fake. Duh!

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

That sabre is looking like the real deal. Here's one from 1840 that has the same markings and seems to match yours.

http://www.swordsales.eu/US-Cavalry-Sabre-1840-Model-Wristbreaker.html

Pistol will take a little more time. Can you find any writing on it at all?

Those are both appearing quite legitimate. Do you have any good Civil War or history museums near you with weaponry sections? If so, take them there.

6. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

7. repsol600

cool nice find man on the sword. next time im out at my dads ill try to look and see if there is any markings. ive looked before and never really found any but i do know its a pinfire, and i think its either a .40 or a .45 but not a 100% sure on that, who knows i could be full of it lol

8. Bandit730

Bandit730 Racing neophyte

:crackup: You must've watched the one last night with the Sharpe's rifle and the Gatling gun. My wife loves that damn show.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'll admit that it's the only reality show that I watch. People bring in some interesting stuff and the staff don't scream at each other constantly like on all the other shows. I watched that OCC show a few episodes when it first came out but couldn't stand the yelling all the time.

I may be heading to Vegas in a few weeks; I'll have to check the pawn shop out.

10. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

One of the few reality shows I like still also. And the owner reminds me of Mongo, especially when he laughs

11. MV

MV Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a Belgian Lefaucheux Solid Frame Pinfire Revolver.

12. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

Quite obviously it's a Harley Davidson boot gun. Doesn't anyone read the packaging anymore?

13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

14. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I think the gun is a Magnum PI.

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

It took 9 seconds to identify the sword on google:

From this site:

"P.S. Justice, Philadelphia
    Phillip Justice held contracts for 13,685 cavalry sabers and 1050 light artillery sabers in 1861. Two marking styles are known—both say P.S. Justice/Philada, but one has the lines both parallel, the other has the first line as an arc with the second as a line. The picture shown is of the first marking, which was applied to the M1840 (they still made the older model) cavalry saber blades imported from Schnitzler and Kirshbaum. This mark is far more common than the second, which is found on the blades made by the firm itself. I have only seen pictures of the second mark, so I don’t know if the cavalry sabers with this mark are of the 1840 or 1860 pattern.
    Pictures:
    M1840 cavalry saber with imported blade [​IMG]
    M1840 cavalry saber with domestic blade [​IMG]"

I don't know dick about longswords, but Google on "p.s. Justice sword phila pa" got me to a lot of references very quickly. Since I live within 15 minutes of the original foundry, it might be fun to find the old forge and see what is there now.

16. repsol600

i literally burst out laughing after reading this lol

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Is that thing brass?

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!