fast racers? how high from the ground are your rearsets?

Discussion in 'General' started by livharder, May 4, 2011.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Shifting of CG is not a result, it's a primary action. Pressure on the peg is a result.

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Oh well, I disagree. I will leave it at that cause I am not going to change my thoughts on it and neither will you.;)

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Thank you for a pleasant disagreement and reasonable discussion. The beeb will self destruct now. :D

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I DARE you to try to turn the bike with any real efficiency with no hands. It wont happen, especially at any decent speed (over like 25mph). You can make it meander a bit, and given enough realestate make it "turn" sort of. But you wont get it to turn like we need it to without physically turning the bars.

If you can hold on to your tank, go to a parking lot, grab the tank, and put all your weight on one peg, and see how NOT fast the bike turns. It will just sortof slowly meander to that side. when it comes to making the bike turn, peg weighting does almost nothing. The pegs are just a point of leverage for your ARMS to turn the bars.

This is not the same as the weighting mid turn debate

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. six6two

six6two AWD

Sorry man, but turning the bike is turning the bike. I thought I was seeing people say that pressure on the pegs can't help you turn, which isn't true. Certainly, direct input to the bars turns the bike, but so does pressure on the pegs and that's my point.

Did I say I can ride as well as anybody with no hands? No. All I'm saying is that you CAN help turn the bike with your feet.

Ever tried riding a bicycle with no hands, you can get around quite alright without any direct input to the bars. Why is this? Because there are other factors that help a bike, no matter the weight, turn than direct input to the handlebars.

6. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

A bicycle does not have the weight nor the reciprocating mass of a motorcycle at speed.

On a motorcycle for all intents and purposes standing on the pegs does "nothing" in helping the bike turn. VERY VERY VERY little. As in it would take you several hundred feet or more to get it to turn more than a handfull of degrees.

But keep thinking stomping on the pegs will make you turn, no matter how wrong you are. No matter what you think about Keith Code (many think him a hack etc) in this instance you cant argue with the No BS bike. Peg weighting does virtually NOTHING for turning a bike. (again not the same thing as peg weighting mid turn for traction as some were talking eariler, but initiatiing a turn)

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Forget it Joe. We're slow and these guys know their stuff. You're not going to change their minds. The best thing you can do is educate newer people to help them decide for themselves the actual physics of making a motorcycle turn.

8. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I was going to let Kurt figure that out the hard way

9. chocadile

chocadile Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty clear on his DVD, when Josh Galster is stomping and standing on the pegs and the bike does not turn. Gotta have input on the bars.

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Shifting CG is the key, not applying pressure on a peg (pressure applied on a peg is the result of shifting CG). Go ahead, flip that office chair.

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I...must...resist...;)

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'll quit.
    :beer:

13. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Thing is with Joe, I can bitch slap him upside the head and drive my point across, but I don't know if we know each other. :crackup:

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Coming to barber? We'll put vice grips on the handlebars of the XR100 and you can peg steer it around the paddock.

:D

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Leaving in about 30 minutes...welcome the conversation. I ain't hard to find!

16. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    I think people have a hard time separating the two functions (peg "weighting" vs. shifting mass). One causes the other... but applying pressure to the pegs without changing the center of mass does nothing to affect the handling.

Honestly I think the car & office chair examples are great attempts at explaining the physics, but whatever, it's long since been a dead horse here and on every other m/c forum.

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Going tomorrow. 334 expert, "Team Yo!" on the black toyhauler.

:beer:

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Under the Millenium tent with number #85

19. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

I think both are important parts of steering a motorcycle.

I'm pretty sure Schwantz does a drill where you go through serpintine cones regularly, then with your feet off. After you try both, you realize it is very hard to steer a motorcycle without hands AND feet working the controls.

my .02

20. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Fixt. :beer: