1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frame, good numbers, no title.

Discussion in 'General' started by racerfranz, Apr 24, 2011.

1. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Anyone know how hard it might be to get a title for this in Georgia? I've been looking at a frame for sale, Seller says numbers are clean, ie: no stolen. How tough to title?
    it's a mid-`70's Harley frame.

2. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

If there is no existing paperwork it is far more difficult than anyone selling every says it is. If it was easy there would be a title. Just sayin....

3. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Thanks, it is priced about 50% less than another (same vintage) with clear title.

It seems in this life, you get what you pay for.

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I didnt think you needed a title for anything that old in Georgia.

5. wbeck257

wbeck257 Active Member

only need a bill of sale in georgia to get a tag for something that old.

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

7. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Thought until the VIN number scheme came in, Harley's didn't even have a frame number: title went with the motor and its number. I'm not a Harley expert, just a vague recollection I have from when I worked at a Kawasaki/Harley dealer in the late 70's.

8. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

If it is pre 1986 and clear then you want them to give you a recent registration card. GA doesn't title anything pre 1987 unless it comes with a title from another state. Without any documents then you have to go through a chassis inspection and document review with the state patrol before you can apply for a registration.

9. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Thanks all, good info. I let it go. It had a notarized Bill of Sale from a shop, but it did not feel right. It was an auction. Ahrma_581, Harley's did have frame numbers after 1970.

Just going to buy one with paperwork.

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I don't think he'd be the guy I'd trust for that information.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers