1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Throttle Grips?

Discussion in 'General' started by ekraft84, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Has anyone with any previous injuries ever tried a larger grip on the throttle side to make it easier to turn the throttle? We were tossing the idea of cutting and gluing a couple extra grips on top of the existing grip, to make for easier throttle turns. Just curious if anyone has tried it and how well it might help.

Thanks.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I wanna say that I saw a thicker grip setup on the go side of Cardenas' bike sometime in the last few years. I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure he had a wrist injury and were after the same thing you are.

Sorry I'm foggy on the details. I specifically remember seeing the big grip on the grid, though.

3. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Will work for race gear

I've got some rubber bandage here at the shop I've used before. It's almost the exact width of a grip and you can just wrap however much you need to get the desiered thickness. It's soft unless you make the wrap uber tight and sticky enough so the grip will not slide in your palm. Let me know if you want me to bring some by.

4. mizter1

mizter1 Mizter1

Yup, I have put two extra on that way glued and safety wired. I had to do it twice. I had to when I broke my scafoid (sp). I also put a quarter turn throttle on. I had about 10% motion in wrist. Worked very well.

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I have to look at the brand but I have larger grips on my bike. PM Chris Cooke (Hollywood) on here. He was the one who gave them to me and I love them.

6. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

that was last year or the year before. I believe he boke his wrist and was trying that to help

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I've put silicone tape over mine in the past, and it's worked really well.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If you don't mind Adam, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

That's what we were thinking of trying. Good to hear it worked!

10. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

A big black dildo stretched over the throttle not only works great but it looks professional and the balls function well as a throttle stop.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Be sure to install on left bar also for the full "doublesider". It's a hit at local bike nights.

13. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Renthal now offers grips that are 32mm O.D. vs the standard 29mm O.D. road race grips. Tucker Rocky has them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  14. K98TOOM

K98TOOM @theoldcorner

How about some of that mighty mend-it tape that sticks to itself, could put a couple wraps of that on there....

15. UberRacing

UberRacing Well-Known Member

some mountain bike grips are thick (Oury), not sure they would work but worth an investigation.

16. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Buy some Grip Puppies. Foam sleeves about 3/16" thick, sold for street riders, but should work fine for what you want. They're normally only sold here: http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/GRIPPUP/GPSMALL.html but some shops may have them.

17. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

There's actually one that sits on the other side of the grip that I mounted up. Didn't try it yet on the track. I'm a little apprehensive about not having the throttle control/feel with something like that.

19. toymoney

toymoney Well-Known Member

20. redleader

redleader Member

It doesnt actually clamp down on the throttle to hold it open, just sits on the grip so you can use the heel of your hand to control the throttle. It allows you to open your hand and stretch it out.
    I had a friend use them at a few trackdays, and they went through tech fine. Having said that, race tech and trackday tech are separate things so...