Summit vintage comment-

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by footwork, Apr 3, 2011.

1. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

From cornerworker at Summit.... :)

Oh, and my hats off to all of the Vintage racers. I didn't notice a lot of "rain tires" on those bikes, and some of those things have tires skinnier than some bicycles made today. Throw in outdated suspension geometry, finnicky carbs, drum brakes, spoke wheels, tube tires and random rideability issues that modern day sportbikes deal with and you guys have your hands full. Now add a track with changing conditions and those of us working the corner were holding our breath for you all. Wow.

2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

It was NOT much fun for me!

Short version:

1st practice: cold, but dry. Roper came by on 2nd lap on the guzzi, giving me a target to chase. Never got a knee down, but came in feeling pretty good.

2nd practice: Wet, track with some sleet residue...yuck! sun was out though and the track was improving every lap. Started pushing thisngs until I highsided exiting t1, but somehow the bike saved itself. stayed out after that, but much slower...

V3/V5: Another wet but drying track. (the theme for the day)5 bikes on the grid for V3. Get so-so start and almost mange to slip behind Rus and Tommy (the only 2 in V5) for V3 holeshot, but Rich O is braver and I slot in behind him. Somebody on a Honda takes advantage of me letting off to let Rich by and goes around me on the outside then grabs a big handfull of gas and highsides in exactly the same spot I did in practice! (he didn't get the miraculous save however...) race is red flagged.
    Re-start has only me and Rich on the grid. I know I have no chance of running his pace on a wet track, so decide to just set my sights on a holeshot and then let him go, which I did. Took it really easy as I was definitely spooked from my near crash and the crash right in front of me and saw no point in taking risks when I had an automatic 2nd. On lap 5, I see standing yellow in T1 and sure enough, there's Rich parked on the exit. Freak failure of a brand new intake manifold on his SR...the cable was the only thing holding the carb on! Slowest win in recorded history for me, I believe.

F-500: Woke up from quick nap in my car to see sleet on my winshield...uugghhh!!! I was the only bike entered, so took the holeshot and then waved the rest of the field by, intending to follow tham around for fun, but by the time we hit t5, I realized even the slowest of the cb350's was going WAY faster than I wanted to. Just no point in taking ANY chances (on tires that were take off's I had given to John 3 years ago...) when I was the only person in the race. I did look back up t5 when I was exiting 9 at the halfway point and saw everyone coming, so wicked it up a bit to save myself the shame of being lapped. (making this the 2nd slowest race I ever won...):rolleyes:

FWIW- Roper crashed in this racing tipping it in to the carousel...I think prudence WAS the better part of valor this weekend!

Post race comment that summed it up perfectly:
    "So, what was wrong with your bike?" "Nothing" "Oh, you were going so slow, we just assumed you had some kind of a problem..."

3. JPG671

JPG671 Well-Known Member

The Guzzi was NOT as loud as I was told- no louder than plenty of other singles.

I got some video of the Guzzi warming up, having its valves adjusted after warm up, and the start. Now I just have to figure out how to edit it, and prepare it for YouTube. I also got some stills I need to sort through.

It was great to be back at the track and see so many old friends, as well as meeting new people (including you).

4. joec

joec brace yourself

put it on photobucket....waaaay easier.

that was craig hirko form new york crashing in t1. hes a little banged up....but will live to fight another day! yeah craig!!!

5. 873mike

873mike Well-Known Member

I watched the second vintage race from the bleachers waiting for a locksmith to show . My first thought was I am glad I am not out there it was horribly treachrous looking from my vantage point . My second thought was midge pushing roper and then who was going to finish the race . Knowing that it wouldn't be me :up:
    MIKE

6. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Prudence, be thy name

All this scary talk makes me feel better about waving Roper & Midge by in the V1/350GP race. I was riding by braille up front, having this conversation with myself along the lines of, "You know, when you fall on your ass, those guys behind you will thank you for letting then know where the limit is".

I knew I could go faster if I had to, but when I realized it was Roper & Midge from 350GP behind me I decided to swallow my pride and let them take the point. LMAO afterwards when Midge told me he thought I was goading the two of them when I waved them by. I figured to follow them for a while, and before unleashing all that V1 power upon them, I would let them find the limit for me...thanks Dave. :Poke: I quickly discovered that the spray in Midge's wake was fairly disagreeable and threatened to mess my newly cleaned leathers :rolleyes: so I settled into a nice monotonous rhythm.

I'll have a video up soon...not much to look at except damp-wet patches of the Summit patchwork quilt of a surface so I trimmed the videos to 4 laps each.

7. WERA854

Here's the Race 5 video; V1 & 500GP. A few familiar faces and bikes before the race, not much to see after the first lap or so. Good look at the surface details, as I'm lapping about 10secs/lap off the regular pace. Damp-dry line w/scattered puddles, with rain starting again on the last lap so the next race was completely wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm8H2gOGecg

8. JPG671

JPG671 Well-Known Member

Cool,
    You captured the moment when Roper realized he forgot to put gas in the Guzzi.

9. WERA854

One of the only sure ways to catch him. ;) The other way occured in Race 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF6aCKYqbos&feature=related

With Midge in hot pursuit, Roper fell in the Carousel with a lap and a half to go.

10. WERA854

Is this Janet?

11. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Nice vids Eric and also good piloting, its hard to hurry up and go slow at the same time. The track just looked ugly, even the drying track vid. Well done. :up:

BTW, did you catch Mikes spill at pit out and edit it from the vid? Your too kind. Probably my fault anyway, I jinxed him by saying in another post,"he is the guy to beat this year in V-2" atleast at SP.

Too bad you didnt get fridays wheather, it was cool but atleast it was dry. I was there friday to honor Al Wilcox at a memorial service held by Rodger Lyles at noon. I did see Tim, Ooch and a Lady rider who looked pretty fast in practice on friday. She was out there pushing the modern bikes. What did you think of the frames they had there? Looked pretty trick to me, and lite.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  12. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Sure looks like it from the location, initials and bike photo!

13. JPG671

JPG671 Well-Known Member

Yes. I figured someone would recognize the photo.

14. 873mike

873mike Well-Known Member

jinx

I think you did jinx me ringdingding , for it was the V2 race I dumped it . I watched this very treacherus one from the lower bleachers waiting for a locksmith to show up at the front gate .
    :beer:
    MIKE

15. WERA854

Janet,
    Good to finally meet you in person...must have been amazing to watch the old Dondolino in action.

Well, I did catch a bit of Mike's crash on video...he's definitely qualified for immediate membership in 'LCOOTWUL'. I could send it in to, "When Good Stunts Go Wrong"; but I'll let him decide when/if he wants to air it after he sees it. Plus, I'll always have the original in case I ever need a special favor. ;)

Sounds like Kerry Smith was the fast lady rider you saw Friday. Red CB350 w/very trick Giannini frame?

16. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Al Wilcox. His instructions at Summit were always a high point.

17. ringdingding

Sorry about that Mike, I'd wish you better luck this year but it may have the wrong effect. I will say I hope I can get out there and do some more close racing with you this year, dont worry, I wouldnt jinx myself so you'll be alright.

Rich Lucas

18. ringdingding

Hey Fred is that you? I havent scene you since I slept with your bikes in your screen tent at, VIR, I think?

It is sad that Al Wilcox is no longer with us. I first saw Al at Summit Point in 1975. There used to be a crowd at the start finish just to watch him do his thing. And the banter between laps was hilarious, he sorda had his own gallery in them days. It may be a bit off topic but this was the first Summit Point without Al, that is no small thing.

19. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Thatsa me!!! Yes, been too busy running a company to race, but I have a plan to lose 20-30 lbs. and get the TD3 back on the track. Maybe by the end of this season, who knows.

Al Wilcox was one of the things that made Summit Point my favorite track.

20. ringdingding

Glad to hear that Fred, cant have too many two-strokes on the grid.