1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any updates from summit?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bart#72, Apr 2, 2011.

1. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

Hey all,

My name's Jeff and I was the rider who went in hot into Turn 1 and endo'd my bike. I just want to say I'm sorry to all those involved. I did not mean to get out of control and I especially did not intend to take anyone else out. I wish it was only me that crashed. I'm not going to give any excuse to what I was trying to do because I have no excuse. I finished my first 2 races in 3rd and 2nd and was on a high. I was over anxiously trying to go for a perfect day and ended up making a bad judgement call. For this I am very sorry. I PM'd Phil and offered my apology.

I'm paying the price for it right now and I'll continue to pay the price for some time. My racing season is over and now I'm just working on licking my wounds.

I've learned a hard lesson (as mentioned several times about trying to win a race in turn 1) and this day will embedded in my brain permanently so that from here on out I will learn to use more common sense. Again I am very sorry for all those involved and I hope that you all heal very quickly and have a fun and safe remainder to the racing season.

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Class post, Jeff. Heal quickly and hope to see you back out there.

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Wow that was brave!!! Nicely said, shit other racers (pro even) CAN learn from you and this post.
    Since it wasn't clear to me, were you badly injured yourself?
    Unfortunately, incidents like these happen and I'm pretty sure all racers know it, so don't be too hard on yourself.....I realize that's easier said than done.

Be well!

4. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

I fractured my vertebrae (C-3) and am currently wearing a neck brace.

Can't help it. I always tell my friends that motorcycle racing is no joke and you could get seriously hurt and/or hurt someone else if you screw up just once. Unfortunately I forgot to heed my own advice. Never again will I forget.

5. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

Def a class post. Thumbs up to you sir. Hope all involved heal as quickly as possible.

6. JWinters

JWinters Active Member

Well I just got booted off for taking too long to respond as I wanted to use the right words and not offend anyone . I wish everyone who was injured a fast and speedy recovery. Madkaw all I can say is try not to beat yourself up so much part of racing means taking risk. Live and learn and I know it doesnt make you feel any better. Adrenaline can get the best of anyone pro or amateur. Part of the reason there are emt and cornerworkers is to try to provide the safest environment and prompt response to accidents... any kind of racing has risk..
    Hope to see you all out there soon

7. JWinters

JWinters Active Member

Ooops sorry got side tracked. I just have to say it was incredibly freezing this weekend and the weather was outrageous but Id have to say id freeze my tush off again to watch all that awesome racing. If your racing in rain, shine, sleet or snow us Marrc folks will be there. Thanks for an awesome weekend

8. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I've retired from racing for a couple of years now so I obviously was not involved. But, I was on the receiving end a few times over the years. I know that your response doesn't make bones heal, it doesn't fix damaged equipment, it doesn't cover expenses, but it does help with the healing process. Good on you, many others would not have had the courage to take that step. Mistakes happen, learn from it and go foward.

9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

^^^great post first class^^^

Ride safe,
    AAron

10. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Good to hear you're coherent now Jeff. I was captain of T1 on Sunday. You were out cold for maybe 30 seconds. It was pretty clear you were pain once you came to. You were laying on a crunched muffler and I was a little worried about that starting to burn you. But once you came to you rolled over off it and didn't want to stop moving around. I tried to keep you still, but you were really in a daze.

11. iron stomach

iron stomach Member

Guy was flying in the wet. I 'd like to see him in the dry.
    [​IMG]
    DSC04745 copy
    [​IMG]
    DSC04743 copy

Thoughts and prayers go out to all who went down over the weekend. Hope a speedy recovery to all of you. Much respect to all of you weekend warriors who put your selves and bikes on the line every weekend. :beer:

12. PhilTheBiker

PhilTheBiker Active Member

Thanks for the phone call of apology.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

that was dave roper on the dondelino spec guzzi. if youre racing motorcycles in the usa, and you dont know who he is, google his name. yes, us vintage guys have an isle of man champion racing with us. every weekend. and dave can ride anything and everything fast! he also had his works harley out there this weekend. i believe he took second by a hair in 500gp, in a very very hard fought battle with a very fast cb350, that ws decived on the last lap.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  14. joec

joec brace yourself

btw, class act madkaw. worvs can go a very long way. heal up.

15. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

My buddy wanted to buy his bike at VIR. he said 75k, my guess is he didn't want to sell it.

I gave him a push. neet bike!

16. joec

joec brace yourself

no...its probably worth about that much. he races an ex cal rayborn harley with us too. dave is the real deal. dave is not a restoration guy. he gets original bikes, does as little as possible to them to make them track ready, then runs the crap out of them. im sure its got all original paint on it!

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That thing is absolutely amazing. Roper racing it is even more so.

Glad everyone seems like they'll heal, wish mother nature had cooperated with us more.

18. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

It's a new way to ride, but definitely not foolproof. There is no traction control for the front tire, and with almost 200 HP on tap at the rear, throttle can make the front lose traction pretty easily in the wet. I took 2nd in the race (of three starters) but I was really just riding around trying to feel out the parameters of traction on slick pavement.

Jeff- Like the others said, that was a very classy post.

I'm sorry to hear that you were injured in that horrible-looking crash. I was watching from the starter's bridge, and it looked at that distance like a flock of crows taking off, there were so many parts going up in the air.

Good luck with your recuperation. We'll look forward to seeing you back out there with us.

19. Carnage R1

Carnage R1 Well-Known Member

:up: Heal up man.

20. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

Thank you. I sent a FB friend request to James along with a letter of apology. I feel really bad that he broke bones. I hope he heals up fast and that his bike is easily fixable. Please let him know I'm praying for him.