1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Racing as Cross Training

Discussion in 'General' started by got40, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

Has anyone raced with the southeast motorcycle dirt track association?There first race is April 2nd.I have a buddy that has never done it before and i'm going to watch.He's gonna race a KX 500 and i really don't know how that will turn out!Anyway they race xr 100's and 450's.I found a 05 YZF 450 for $1,500 that's a little rough around the edges and thought about giving it a try myself.

2. got40

got40 On hiatus...

^^I'd love to race with them except there's a few conflicting dates and all the tracks are 5 hours or more away from my house. It's committing to a whole new race series, not just something you can do on the side like I was looking for.

Whether its minis or flat track, there's always something in the way. I keep coming back to riding MX, but I don't want to fool with the jumps. Guess I'll just have to deal with it, I need more seat time. And I think I found a local place to ride the mini in the dirt, hopefully anyway.

3. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

we are just getting started back up in nashville, minimotard.org
    we are a small group of guys that love riding the minis, we meet in a big parking lot and setup about 1/2mi track. its a blast and you get tons of seat time,

4. gogreggo

gogreggo Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to bring minis to Barber and run the mini class.

DO IT!

5. cowboy600rr

cowboy600rr Well-Known Member

I just joined SEMRA and while I'm starting out doing the Supermoto races I'm planning on picking up a 100 for some mini racing soon. Looks like a blast and the fields get a great turnout and great competition.

6. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are Tyler Butts and David Grey playing on my 150r. I stud it up and play on the ice during the winter. Batterys died on the cam before I got on it.

7. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

I will be there,and I'm pretty sure that nigel and caleb we be also. I hope we have a few more mini's than last rd. at tally.

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

indoor supermoto all winter

in the summer I sometimes hit up a local flattrack race or 2

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah, the Pitsters are very nice. Forgot to mention that. The SSR's I've seen had numerous problems, but the last time I saw one at the track was 5 or so years ago, they may be much better now. The worst I've seen, and in my own experience, were the Thumpstars. The motors aren't actually all that bad, but the chassis is total garbage. Frames bending, welds breaking, shocks completely locking up solid, bolts stripping if you look at them funny, footpegs breaking in half after a tip over in the pits, on and on and on.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

YSR.
    you'll get a serious spider monkey riding style if you're anywhere over 5'6" while developing crazy control, stamina and strength in your legs. you'll work the abs, too.
    best on scaled down tracks like langley(picture daytona being inside a 1/4 mile asphalt oval. top speeds in triple digits, infield tight and technical.)

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Caleb and I will be racing minis at Barber. Our friend Rich will be coming out on his 150. Caleb and Rich had a friendly lap time breaking, smack talk spouting competition going in Mini 50 last season, and will be continuing in Mini 80 this year.
    Race dads, come on out and race minis with your kid. It's the most fun I've had on a bike.

12. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Anyone know of mini tracks/orgs in Illinois? I'd like to check out an event.

13. pmoravek

pmoravek Well-Known Member

14. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

You could go hang with the guys at MIMRA

They are in Michigan. They also host an awesome time in Western Ohio at the "MiniMash" on Memorial Day weekend. We will be driving up from Knoxville TN to join the fun that weekend, well worth the drive.

15. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Make sure you bring your leathers this year Draiks dad!

16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Man, I don't want to break anybody's stuff or more likey, burn up the clutch...

17. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

SEMRA has a "Spec"class using the 125 Thumpstar and they have been bulletproof.kids all the way through BIG guys.one of the most fun classes i raced in.i miss it.

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I hear ya Mook, NWGP had one too. That's why I got mine. Like I said, the motors were rock solid, but in our experience nearly everything else wasn't. Maybe you guys got the good batch, and we got the ones made at 4:45 on Friday! :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  19. six6two

six6two AWD

how much is one of those spec bikes?

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I think I may have found my ride. 2000 Yamaha TTR 125. Anyone have any experience with these?