1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do about a broken sv crank?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by meanseeds, Feb 17, 2011.

1. meanseeds

meanseeds Well-Known Member

I did track days on my zx10 with a slipper before getting the sv to race and I'm not used to blipping. I've heard using a lot of engine braking can snap the crank too so I've been practicing blips but I can't do it and still brake constantly. If I get fast maybe I just won't slow down to corner =)

2. meanseeds

All the motors I see on ebay are $600+ should I just call/email and offer them 400?

3. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

craigslist or here or a wrecked bike site

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned, you have to learn to blip with Svs if you want longer crank life. I've got several seasons on two cranks, one balanced and one not. They usually but not always snap at the rotor.

5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I didn't blip.....ever. I did it all with the clutch. Felt like it took away from braking the way I wanted.

6. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

i didnt blip either, its pretty much a 03 -04 thing, the horse power didnt matter on braking cranks that was the rod issue, over 82 or more the rods would snap,I've seen stock 03 snap a crank it only had 73 hp. its more to what kris was saying, it usally happens on decel, or when you let off the gas.
    Whats up kris????

7. meanseeds

so should I be weary about buying an 03 motor with 8000 miles I found on craigslist for $400?

8. Arctic Donkey

Arctic Donkey Well-Known Member

FWIW I bought my 03 brand new and it has been on the track since day 1 so I would say go for it.

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I have cranks with 15k track miles. You never know when one will let go. That is a great price.