1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Would Happen To Motorcycle Racing Without Energy Drink Money?

Discussion in 'General' started by burner42, Feb 14, 2011.

1. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110214/ap_on_he_me/us_med_energy_drinks_1

I have read a few other articles on energy drinks and the negative effects it has on young kids.
    What happens if they regulate the industry or make energy drinks illegal for kids younger than 19? That would be a huge hit to the energy drink business, which also seems to be one of the only/largest companies pumping money into most racing series... F1, Moto GP, AMA, SX, MX.
    Without these energy drink dollars our already hard hit series will suffer tremendously financially.
    Any thoughts?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Dear god almighty.

Please don't let anybody fuck with redbull.

They sponsor the coolest shit worldwide for the last decade.

I'm not an energy drink guy, but if you are, please pony up and drink redbull.

4. madboosties

madboosties Well-Known Member

^^ Or a Monster

5. got40

got40 On hiatus...

Careful with all that. This is legislation. We need paranoia and knee-jerk reactions, so you can quit with the pesky facts and logic.

Don't you watch the news?

6. got40

got40 On hiatus...

I started drinking Monster to support the people who support us. Only the low-and no-cal stuff tho.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Here's an idea, maybe, and I know it sounds insane, the parents should watch what their kids drink? Instead of a bunch of know it alls telling you what you can buy.

Assholes.

8. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I had a mother drive two of my players to a middle school lacrosse game a couple years ago. One of them gets out of the back seat with a giant Monster can. I start asking about it only to find out that it is his second of the day! (It was 2:00PM.)

I couldn't believe the parent let him have one much less two!!

9. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

All things in moderation :beer:

I enjoy a Red Bull every now and then... sometimes with vodka. Never been too keen on Monster (except the Java version), it's too sweet for me. There was a time (while deployed) that I functioned almost exclusively on Red Bull and nicotine... that shit will wear you down quick!

10. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

WTF???? :wow:

Personal responsibility???

No way. :tut:

11. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I think where the difference comes in is how energy drinks are consumed, and the amount of sugar that's in them. No one is going to slam down a large Starbucks.

But yea, parents, let's take a look at what you're feeding your kids once in a while. Not just RedBull, but way too many kids in line at Starbucks as well. Wonder why kids can't get up in the morning, or pay attention in school.

Personally, I may have a RedBull at the track once in a while, but I prefer to water it down. Stuff just seems harsh to the stomach.

I do greatly appreciate what they've done in motorsports, but I haven't been 'NASCAR'itised by the sponsorship either.

12. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Well-Known Member

Beer and booze are still allowed, but cig sponsorship went away for the most part. If energy drinks go away, racing will have to find another high volume, low production cost, high margin product to support them. Personally, I think that stuff tastes like shit. But they do sponsor cool stuff. So drink up, kiddies. Have a smoke while you're at it.

Now that weed is almost legal, how soon before a major corporation starts producing it and sponsoring your favorite race team?

13. Shit, you would be surprised. After being up for 2-3 days straight and getting off of an 18hr flight, i can slam a large Starbucks with an extra shot pretty damn quick.

14. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

I have always wondered what a can of Red Bull would cost if they didn't sponsor every freakin 'adrenaline' sport out there. Their advertising budget must be their highest cost line item

15. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

more like massive write off.

Actually it would be kind of funny all those green monster logo stickers on bikes, there has to be enough out there to fill a garbage dump! I dont drink them either but I guess when you have some companies like Four Loco that add the alchol in them and its killing people....... I hate to say it, but companies do need to be regulated to some degree, just like our children.

16. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

This issue has definitely got these companies thinking, and they are shifting their sponsorship dollars overseas.

i.e. Jorge Lorenzo/Rockstar Energy

I believe this is their first presence in MotoGP, no?

17. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

For $2 a can I can imagine the mark up is insane.

18. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I drink a Monster (the good green one) almost every day. But I don't really like drinking for than one of anything a day whether its a monster, pop, don't drink coffee. Parents need to watch if they don't want their kids drinking it. Not ruin it for the rest of us that like that and know how to control ourselves rather than blaming everyone but themselves

19. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

and if you buy a case at Costco it's like $1.25 a can. So it has to be HUGE

20. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

My real question is how the heck does Rockstar afford to sponsor so many things when I've never seen anyone actually drink a Rockstar?