1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prayers for Al Wilcox

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Jan 25, 2011.

1. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Based on the videos posted it looks like Bill Johnson #222, from what I gather.

http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerprofile.asp?x=1098&rid=1381220199144
    Even has the same leathers on in his videos.

2. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

3. flagboy

flagboy Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say. Al was one of the finest men I have known.
    I had the pleasure of sharing the stand with Al for almost ten years, and I don't think I ever stopped learning from him. He forgot more about being a starter than most of us will ever learn.

Rest in Peace Al, and give Julia a big kiss from me.

4. jim137

jim137 Well-Known Member

RIP Al...those rider's meetings were one of my favorite parts of the day.

5. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

That's a great Al story, Jeff. That's classic Al. I really feel blindsided, I thought everything was fine, I just didn't know Al was that sick. For you guys that didn't know Al you can be assured he wouldn't want me acting this way, I know Al wouldn't want all that, he lived a rich life on his terms, he was an example to generations of racers...I think he knew how much he was loved...He was a special guy, they were special folks, him and his wife. He'd be pointing a flag at me and gesturing me to pit out if he saw me moping over this...

It would be fitting, we met in absolute chaos for the first time at Pocono during a red flag on pit lane back in '87. Races at Pocono used to be huge, two, three wave starts, I think I even saw a four wave up there once, you could have 65 riders on that track, the chicane could get real crowded...A bunch of guys went down in the middle of the race, the race was red flagged, we did what we were supposed to do, come into the hot pit and await further instruction.

Al comes running down pit lane still waving that red flag gesturing to cut the engines off...It's louder than Hell, and he's screaming something at me, I was a first year expert at the time and I'm wondering what did I do to screw up? I can't hear what he's saying, it's just chaos on pit lane...Al's still screaming at me, I finally hold both arms up in the air, like, "WTF? Al? What'd I do wrong?" Finally he gets close enough I can hear him...

"YOU'RE 49!"

I'm thinking, yeah, 49 expert, that's me, I'm nodding my head up and down...

"I WAS 49 TOO!" He's just grinning from ear to ear.

I just had to start laughing. "Yeah, AL, I KNOW!"...All hell breaking loose on the track and in the pits, ambulances dashing out to the chicane, and here's Al grinning about number plates and still directing traffic with the flag like he's out for a walk in the park...The guy had something like 3,500 AMA Pro starts, nothing fazed him, you probably could have dropped a tactical nuke on the front straight and it wouldn't have mussed his hair. He genuinely enjoyed every moment he was alive from what I saw for over 25 years.

These last couple of years every time I took a flag from Al I'd glance at him and think, "This is an honor."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

7. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

Good by to a very special racer starter and all around good man. RIP Airborne Al.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

9. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Thanks for the lead, but I have to get actual confirmation from the guy who shot it or from somebody with first-hand knowledge of it being shot before I stick somebody's name on it, on the website.

Fact-checking and all that...

10. BENZtech

BENZtech Member

Rip Al. :(

11. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Every time he saw me in recent years, Al pointed out that he flagged Team Hammer's 1st, 50th and 100th overall endurance race wins. He didn't really have to remind me:

It was an honor to get the checkered flag from you, Al!

Thanks for the memories, and R.I.P.

12. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Very sad news, when I first went to Summit Point in '76 or '77, we almost always watched the races at the start finish to watch Al. It didnt take long to notice how much he enjoyed what he was doing. And that he would wave the checkered flag as vigoriously for first place as he did for the last person to cross the finish line.

13. MX121

MX121 Well-Known Member

RIP Al. Riders meetings Jus won't be the same.

14. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

RIP Al. It was an honor being flagged (and yelled at) by you!

15. Held USA

Held USA Active Member

I watched Al ride his bicycle - backwards - sitting on the handlebars at Summit Point, back in the 80's. I was shocked ! Got to know him over the next few years.

Went over 10 years without racing, went back to Summit one time - he knew me by name. Wanted to know where I had been. He shocked me again ! RIP Ole Man.

16. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

I can't believe this. I wish I had known sooner. God took one of the good ones too soon. Seeing Al was always one of the things I looked forward to most about going to Summit Point. I would attend the riders meetings even though I hadn't raced in a few years just to see and hear Al explain the flags. Godspeed Al and God bless his daughters, family and countless friends.

Awesome article in the Washington Post. What a life he had. Long and rich and filled with great things. Sounds like he was a lucky man. We were luckier for having known him.

Jess Kinsey

17. Ashaw568

Ashaw568 Well-Known Member

R.I.P Al:(

18. pamedic1

pamedic1 I have 2 ouchies

R.I.P. Al, it was an honor meeting you.

19. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

RIP AL. I'm envious of the life he led. We should all be so lucky. The man did what he loved right up to the very end. I'm sure he's off drifting that harley through some turns in a better place. God rest his soul. You will be missed Al :(

20. bj

bj Well-Known Member

I shot that video last year at Summit. I'd been meaning to do if for some time. Please share it with anyone who'll watch. I'm just happy I got to preserve one of Al's special meetings.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011