1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best mid size 4X4 pickup for son

Discussion in 'General' started by RockRocks, Jan 31, 2011.

1. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

what would you recommend as a first truck for my son? He is interested in a 10 year-oldish mid size pickup. would like ext cab, 4*4, prefer auto. Budget $3-5K. Anything to avoid? thanks for the advice!

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Sprocket

Dodge Dakota 99 to 2001 4X4

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Find a clean Tacoma - that way he's not dumping money into it to replace parts that have poor lifespans.

They're bulletproof trucks that need just basic maintenance.

4. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Can't really go wrong with a Ranger with the 4.0 V6. Listen for the cam chain rattle if it's a pre-02 model before they upgraded the guides.

5. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

I am very happy with my 2001 Ranger auto with the 4.0 engine.

Some folks are weary about the 5sp auto but I've been towing with mine for the last 50k without issue.

I recommend this truck but don't go by the book value on these things. They are grossly optimistic.

Got 158,xx miles on mine and KBB says it's worth $8500.

LOL

6. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

yep, tacoma is king. Had a 96 4x4 and that thing was a beast. Wish I still had it :(

7. [​IMG]

8. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

tacoma...had nothing but problems with all my rangers

9. 09bamaR6

09bamaR6 Well-Known Member

+1 for the Ranger, had a couple and never any problems. Actually still have a 91 with over 200k miles on it.

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I drove a GMC Sonoma ZR2 and loved it. They came with everything you need and everything you don't. Push 4x4 w/LMS, Power everything and the
    V^ got 18-20MPG no matter how I drove it. It would tow whatever I needed and had a good ride height. For you, they govern the top speed at 90mph so no issue there. Tires were 31x10.5.15 and dirt cheap. The extended cab models had a third door so loading/unloading was great. Plus it's an S/10 so parts are very reasonable and interchangable.

Best truck I ever owned. It was a 2000 and my father still has it with 210K. Looks and runs like new.

I will also second the Tacomas however. Along with my old truck, he has always owned Toyota products and they have all outdriven their bodies.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Which ever one he pays for with the money he's saved from working.

12. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

:up:

i had to save up for my first vehicle while mom was dropping me off and picking me up at work for a year!

but, any tacoma that has been regularly maintained will be a great first vehicle. i wouldnt recommend the earlier model v6 (pre 95) as it was a 3.0 liter dog that had lots of issues. my 03 taco v6 has 155k on the clock, with a supercharger for all but the first 20k, and it runs amazing. have never seen the check engine light.

13. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I don't know when the last time you guys checked prices on used Tacomas was, but if you can get a 4wd ext. cab within his stated budget you better buy it cause I've yet to see one under $5k unless it's salvage.

14. greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

I was just about to say that. An 04 w/ 120K+ miles will go for $14K. Shoot I sold my 84 with 118K miles for $3K back in 2004. You can get a reliable older year, but it will lack todays creature comforts

15. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

With that kind of budget, you are pretty much looking at a 1995-2002 Ranger/Mazda or S-10/Sonoma. I just bought another (1999) S-10 for $3000 and it's a pretty solid little truck and parts availability is good. My first truck was a 1996 S-10 and I never had any mechanical issues with it.

You probably won't find a clean Tacoma in that budget.

16. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

Tacoma will be way out of his price range

ok, not way out but probably at least $8 grand for a nice 2001 4X4

+1

you can find a dakota really cheap -- 3.9 ,5.2 motors and super reliable

auto trannies can be hit or miss but you can get a 4X4 dakota V8 with a 5 speed and limited slip rear end

and everything else is easy to fix repair if you need too

17. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

Jeep Comanche! (If you can con him out of ext-cab)

Lots of parts, relatively indestructible, solid axles, strong inline 6. The only true mid-size 4x4 w/ solid axles front and rear other than old Toyotas.

[​IMG]

18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Would there be anything wrong with looking at one of those? Just in case the son leaves it parked on a beach before high tide or on the roof of a building before it is scheduled to be demolished.

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'd say 98-01 Dakota too... I dont have a 4x4 but I'm pushing 210,000mi and still running strong... new radiator, crank position sensor and abs sensor are all I've had to replace! (other than regular items)...

Shoot, I'm still on the original clutch, but its about to go...

20. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

got a 3.0 5 spd manual ranger with 215k 1995. Its 2wd but the only thing wrong to date is bad alternator, I used it to run a inverter to power warmers!

Had great A/C until my buddy(mechanic) ran it into a tree and killed the compressor.

Other than that she runs like a champ. I have jumped it a few times and had about 2k lbs in cement in the back, the frame would flex over bumps. she doesnt even burn oil or smoke.

I took it Jennings(14hours) with a trailer back when it had 185k.

Thats why I call her "Trusty"