1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there power engineers on this forum?

Discussion in 'General' started by pashlit, Jan 27, 2011.

1. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

Hah!

What's your academic background like? EE/CpE is hard work.

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Other thank EMag waves and fields, what math is hard in EE? There are some complicated equations but it's not like you are deriving equipment models.

3. pashlit

pashlit Well-Known Member

All right. To make the picture as clear as possible. I hold an undegrad degree in Economics/Accounting (dunno what I was thinking when I did it). Have been messing with wires, circuits, chips, mother boards, relays and other electrical stuff since I was a kid. Currently work for a power trading firm analyzing energy markets. Reached the ceiling here and looking for a change. Might go back to college if I have to. Would prefer to change a job though cause I have brain and can do s...t load of stuff with my hands. Have absolutely no connections... Hmmm...What else...

4. some guy #2

You probably won't get an engineering job without an engineering degree. That all depends though with experience you do bring, which doesn't seem like much from a hands on technical perspective in power systems.

Most places want BS EE or Engineering Tech for even entry level jobs.

For field work you might be able to get away with less. A lot of operators (plant, system) I know don't have degrees but you won't move up the ladder if you don't. Line workers, service techs, etc will mainly be about learning the job and possibly joining a union so you go through their program.

If you want hands on R&D type engineering work like prototyping or something science-y that isn't gonna happen unless you are beyond smart.

5. greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

If you really want hands on experience and be invaluable to the Power companies, start off as a lineman. I work in the electrical field. Graduated with a marketing degree and here I am in a management role. I can tell you that the lineman know the same if not more than some of the engineers. Of the workforce in this industry there is a very high number of baby boomers who are about to all retire in the next 10 yrs. They also seem to want to take their knowledge to their graves without passing it on. I'm new in this field and have a ton to learn. I often think about trying to get into the lineman program to be better off in the long run.

You become a lineman in the union, work 4 tens for a couple years. The only down side is the weather. So you become a foreman and eventually a troubleman. Slowly start working your way into an office as you get older. Oh yea, with the available overtime out there you can be making six figures.

On a side note, if anyone knows a lineman on the distribution side of things with aerial and underground experience looking for work, let me know. SE PA

6. some guy #2

+1 to line tech's making the big bucks! it pays to get zapped!

7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

What he said. Except field engineers are required to be educated now. The guys with GED's and 20 years with the company are being phased out with young bucks with degrees in engineering. A lot of shops require at least an associates+ to do line work. Anything above the lineman requires BS.

If you're serious, definately go to school and get the degree. Your career will shape out as you become educated. Good luck.

8. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

im a ME student now and work in manufacturing but I am taking a few nuclear classes right now.

The projected growth for Nuclear surpasses all "green energy"(wind/solar) for the next 20 years or so.

The US is catching up to some of the european nations on nuclear power. South carolina alone has i think 6 nuclear reactors. A majority of the work is on the east coast and kind of trickles off the farther west you go.

If i were you I would go EE or ME and atleast get a bachelors. A EE if you plan on doing solar.

The only real place wind is being utilized is Denmark and i know the company I spoke to wanted ME and EE guys and they were hiring a good bit.

Im just taking these classes to have something to fall back on as i enjoy machining work more than power plants and electrical stuff

9. Hi-Side

Hi-Side Well-Known Member

You've reached the ceiling in a firm that analyzes power markets ? Why not use that knowledge to move to a power trading floor ? We have power flow engineers on our floor that are constantly looking at the grid and running power flow models forecasting congestion, price spikes, etc. At least your current background wouldnt go unused and if you have the risk appetite possibly move into a trading role.

10. caferace

caferace No.

So you're the guy we should blame?

:D

-jim

11. dlafz1

dlafz1 Well-Known Member

I'm in the nuclear industry. There are jobs out there for engineers.

Check out bettislab.com for a start.

12. pashlit

pashlit Well-Known Member

For 3 years I ve been trying to become a power trader but the policy of that darn firm is that they only hire experienced traders who come on-board and make em millions. Well, I saw traders come and traders leave as a result. I tried as hard as I could but when the boss is a stubborn donkey its hard to do anything. I d love to stay in power world but its tough to get into pure trading without connections.