1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got laid off yesterday....

Discussion in 'General' started by firstcherokeeki, Jan 9, 2011.

1. firstcherokeeki

firstcherokeeki Rides like a girl!

It's gonna suck not working at a motorcycle shop anymore!! Now I have to decide what I wanna do. I think I may wanna go back to school, something in the network security field. Anyone here have any insight for me concerning this field of work?

2. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Is this something you want to do? If so go for it! remember when one door closes another one opens, this may be a blessing in disguise. As easy as it may sound, try not to get frustrated if things don't work out the way you think they should, stay positive, stay focus....it will work out. Good Luck

3. caferace

caferace No.

Without wanting to appear glib, it helps to have a shit-ton of experience in network and application security.

There are tons of wannabe's that are basically just people that know how to use a web browser or take some BS two-day course, download nmap and get a useless certificate. They're easy to spot, and quickly rejected.

Best of luck in your job hunt. I've been there, and it's no fun.

-jim

4. firstcherokeeki

I am not looking to be a wannabe. Looking for insight as to what courses are most favored in this field and feedback from people already in this field. I am going to try and go full time for a degree in networking, but not quite sure were to start.

5. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

BS in CS, MS in CIS and Network Security.

So start with the BS in CS or CIS

As a side note, I was laid off from a job of 9 years working in network infrastructure and UNIX server administration. What looked looked the lowest point in my life opened up new doors that have put me in a position I could only have dreamed about! Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't want to come across as a jackass but isn't there a ton of unemployed MSI guys out there with the alphabets and experience and the schools are churning out more every year? Throw in the hamfisted 2 day course experts, how more can the market absorb?

I don't know where to steer you and not trying to get you down, just wondering.

7. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

You have to a CS degree to differentiate yourself.

8. firstcherokeeki

As for the reason for this post. Just kicking around ideas right now and looking for all the info I can get.

9. firstcherokeeki

Please tell me more. I am looking for all info I can get right now.