1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overall Championship

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Dec 29, 2010.

1. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Overall championships work for single track series but for Wera, where there are so many variations, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I'm someone running a regional series, how does the 7 race Wera West guy compete with a 13 race Southeast guy? They cannot realistically run "out of region" to help their cause. And what about someone running the National Series? This brings out some of the baddest riders out there but they have less classes, and a smaller number of events.

It would give someone bragging rights, but if there are lots of questions is there much value in it?

It would be interesting to see who the actual 2010 overall "Champ" was. Since this is Chaotic's idea, I nominate him to do the reaserch and the math...

Regards

2. :D

I don't mind doing the math. Gonna have to give me a lil bit; im heading to the gym. But i will work on it when i get back. I am interested to see who it was also. :up:

3. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

I think we just have a difference of opinion on what the definition of championship should be. To me it should be best of the best but obviously that doesn't always happen today in the current regional and national structure. Even those can come down to who was able to attend the most events. That is why I like to look at the GNF because to me those championships really do identify the best racer in a particular class.

If we look at your example 2 where you run all these various classes and accumulate enough regional points to be classified as "Overall Champion" but then you go to the GNF and don't even finish in the top 5 in any of those classes (just an example, not saying that it would be true in your case) what exactly does that "Overall Championship" mean? In that scenario, to me it becomes more of a "Total Points Award" than an "Overall Championship".

Again, we just see championships differently but as I mentioned in my first post I do agree the kind of commitment you describe is worthy of some recognition. But I just wouldn't classify it as a championship.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I disagree with this part of your argument. I think it identifies the best rider at Road Atlanta on that particular day who didn't have a mechanical problem or wasn't taken out. I think that ideally, championships should be won over a season.

5. got40

got40 On hiatus...

There's differences with the way its done, and as you could tell the collective opinion in that thread was that it needed to be changed. The reason I pointed it out is that they've had it for years, and their grid sizes still suck, even with no caps on the number of classes you can run.

You can talk potential all you want. There is no evidence to support adding this will increase grid size, and there is a very long track record with another org that supports it having no affect at all. It won't hurt anything.

JMO impact is minimal at best; I'm sure one of the class champions will appreciate the extra hardware.

6. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

That's a fair statement and I can't disagree. But I guess my point is the best of the best will be competing for wins at the GNF but the "Overall Champion" may be nowhere in the mix.

7. got40

got40 On hiatus...

:stupid:
    well said

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Here is where you can get the info and the crossever regions and series won't matter.

http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerprofile.asp?x=1098&rid=30816

Here is some of my rather impressive results. I would prefer you use my 2006 results. I liked that year. For giggles look closeley at 2008.

So, you go down the list. Look at the finishing spot and add up the points given for that spot.

Done.

KISS method

Once again, you are trying to compare outright best racer per class. The other championships are for that. We don't need more of them. This is for constitent and dedicated total season.

Also, if all it does is make 2-3 more guys show to the last race of the year and enter some extra classes, then it worked. Those are the worst attended events. Some extra people would be really good.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  9. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

A couple of new good thoughts that I hadn't thought of. One, being at a disadvantage in a region that has fewer races. Two, being attending a race like Grattan or Buttonwillow that counts for 1 region versus VIR that counts for 3 or 4 regions. Looking at the racer's profile, a single race earning 15 points would look like 60 points.

And I thought of a better analogy to my original view. Rider x wins AMA superbike with 326 points. Rider y wins British Superbike with 311 point. Rider z wins Australian Superbike with 362 points. Where's the merit in assigning one the "overall champion"? You know, wins are wins, points are points, tracks are tracks, competition is competition......

I think GCBusa said it well in terms of what actual constitutes a "champion" of anything. This is certainly more of an award. And a good award. And a decent idea for getting more entries. But if calling it an "award" instead of a "champion" removes the motivation for people, well then I would offer that they are chasing the label of champion as the achievement is then not what they are after but the label.

10. Vince Luvs Da Cock

Vince Luvs Da Cock Well-Known Member

In CCS the Overall Champ is done by regions.At the end of the year you have 10 or 11 Regional Overall #1 plate holders.Numbers 1 through 10 are assigned to riders fininshing in the top ten overall points per region aswell.You run those numbers the following year.Overall plates are something you can be proud of and it last the whole next season.Class Champion trophys are home on a shelf,LOL.

11. Like i said, total points earned would go towards the point total...not total points in each region.

If i guy wins a single race in a cross-regional event, he gets 20pts towards the overall championship...not 40. Yes, his point total in each of the respective regions increases by 20pts, but he only earned 20pts...so that is what his total increases by. It isnt hard to figure out.

Then the only way to solve the "problem" you are suggesting is to have an Eastern and Western Champion similar to how the AMA Supersport champions are crowned (which i believe is over-analyzing the whole thing and making it too complicated for this purpose). But that would solve the gripes of the Western guys who say the East has more races available.

There is always a critic....

12. That makes sense, have 1-10 in each region based upon total points.

While that would encourage people to enter more races in that region, it would negate the other goal of having points outside your "normal" region counting towards a championship of some kind.

Like i said, if there was some sort of overall championship, i would hit the tracks in the NE region also.

13. stickboy274

The profile page doesn't break it down by region. It just shows a race. Even the Cycle Jam is just a race even though it includes most of the regions. The only way you would get more points for a race is if you kept hitting the + button over and over. It really is way easier than you guys are making out to be.

14. That is sorta what i was thinking. :)

15. Vince Luvs Da Cock

Vince Luvs Da Cock Well-Known Member

In the CCS world everyones wants to win a top ten plate.And the riders finishing in the top ten overall points, are the class/es champions to.

16. Resolution:

Include an "Overall Champion" in each Region.

Then there is no complaining about x region having more available races than y region and there is no gripe about x riders who ride on x tracks being better than y riders on y tracks.

Keep the individual class champions so there there will still be a "C-SS Southeastern Champion", "B-SB NE Champion" so on and so forth. Just add an "Overall" category for each region.

So in addition to the class Champions, there would be a "________ Region Novice/Expert Overall Champion"

That will encourage people to enter more races each weekend and will award the person who races fast and consistent in several classes, at several tracks, throughout the entire year.....without having people in x region being compared to people in y region.

That would also solve the confusion about cross-regional races. If somebody earns 20pts in a cross-regional event, then that 20pts is added to the total in each region, just like it is added to the individual classes in each region.

17. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

:up:

18. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

If this keeps you out of the NE region, then it's a WIN!!!:D

19. :crackup:

:moon:

20. stickboy274

Finally it comes out. They are afraid of outsiders coming in a shaking things up.