1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overall Championship

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Exactly :up:

IMO, that is how it should be. Obviously the #1 is earned. But i think it should be like that for all single digit numbers. You shouldnt be able to just choose the number #2 or #6 etc; i think it should be earned.

2. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

WSMC does it that way too. 1-10 are earned.

3. Vince Luvs Da Cock

Vince Luvs Da Cock Well-Known Member

I agree and is why i wasnt giving you my race credentials. :D

4. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

Basically, for the same reasons that Turner mentioned in his post that I quoted. But I've given this some more thought, and in my opinion for something like this to work and be somewhat legitimate come up with some format that only considers results at the GNF. It's way too easy to maximize points in various regions/classes so at least this way everyone would be up against the best (in theory) from all over and it would be a better measure of accomplishment.

5. Making the championship a "winner take all" (as in having it cliimax at the GNF) defeats the whole purpose...which is getting more riders on the grid in more classes during the entire year.

Regardless of how it is done, you will STILL have to run well/fast/consistent enough to finish in the top 5, if not podium, in several classes throughout the entire racing season to have any chance at an overall championship.

If somebody finishing well in several different classes, at several different tracks, against tons of different riders, for an entire year isn't an accomplishment, then i don't know what is.

6. The few people who have had negative comments about the idea, do you have a better one? What better ideas do you have to bring more people to the grids?

There was a loooong thread a while back about how to get more people on the grids and most of the ideas were either far fetched or just not possible. Most of them were along the lines of "offer more money for winning" (which would require higher entry fees) or "lower entry fees" and we know those that simply isn't possible the way things are right now or "add more races" or "add more laps to each race" and those things aren't possible in the current system without leaving people at home with no place to race their bike.

An Overall Championship doesn't affect individual entry fees because chasing it is completely voluntary, it doesn't eliminate any race classes or reduce the length of any races and it doesn't hurt WERA in any way. The only thing it will cost WERA is a few more man-hours (or woman-hours) to calculate the points.

It won't even cost WERA a trophy because Stick said he would throw it in. :D

Several of us have already stated that we would enter more classes to chase an Overall Championship. Just the few of us in this thread who have said we would run more races will generate a good bit of money for WERA over the course of the year, and im sure there are several others who will do the same.

Personally, i don't see a downside to it.

7. gy999r

gy999r Well-Known Member

8. As far as as Overall Championship being not "as much of a Championship" or not as "legit" as a Class Championship, i don't get it. Personally, i think it is the other way around.

Since it was my idea, i will use me as an example. Here are two completely :D hypothetical seasons...

1. I race my 675 in the HWT-SB class for an entire season. I place/run well and score several podiums and maybe a couple/few wins against other 675's along with some Ducati's, maybe some RC51's and maybe a Tiller or two while racing against the same guys every weekend and win a HWT-SB Regional Championship.

Since only that 1 class counts towards that 1 Championship and not everybody makes every race, i don't have to run well (or even attend) every race in the SE Region to win that Championship. I can afford to have an "off" weekend or not run well at a track or two.

2. I race my 675 in HWT-SB, C-SB, B-SB, A-SB and Formula 1 for an entire season. I place/run well and score several top 5's, a few podiums and maybe even a win or two against other 675's, Ducati's, RC51's, a Tiller or two...and against 600cc I-4's, 750's and 1000's while racing against many different guys in many different classes and earn an Overall Championship.

Because it is a competition for total points, every race/point missed hurts and i can't afford to have an "off" weekend; i have to run well in every class at every track.

Makes more sense to me that hypothetical season #2 is much more impressive and a much harder championship to earn because you have to prove yourself against many different riders, on different bikes and at every track.

9. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I agree, and think the overall championship is a good idea. I think it would help to increase numbers.

10. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

the formula is already in use in WERA.
    Look at the Vintage national championship
    takes the 6 best finishes during the year, and double points at the GNF.
    So for the overall take say your 10 best point total weekends, and then double points that the GNF.

people will go the extra yard for it.
    I know a guy who went out and borrowed a motard to race at the final round because no one ran expert supermotard in that region all year and it got him a championship...

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

He sounds like a stud that knows how to werk the system. Borrowed does sound better than kind of stole a motard

12. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

One problem I see is in annointing this Overall Champion when the players never meet. Unless I'm wrong, WSMC and others that do this, do it to combine all the classes as said. So it would be like having an ASB, ASS, BSS, BSB, CSS, CSB, F1, F2, etc, etc individual champions. And then a guy (or a top 10) of people who ran multiple classes. And that would be great for the NE. Or the SE. Or the West. But how do you any credibility to the Overall Champion when North Central racers will never meet a West region racer. Nor race against the same racers. Jesus, this is starting to sound like the BCS - how do you know coming in second place in the SEC is better or worse than going undefeated in the Mountian West league (region)?

13. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

(although, if you are looking for controversy, drama, and money, the BCS system sure seems to work........<rolls eyes>).

14. stickboy274

Don't think it matters. You were 1-10 overall. No matter where you are. It even takes out regions with less events. you can travel to other regions, and run nationals/regionals. Straight points, That's it. Keep it simple.

15. Vince Luvs Da Cock

Vince Luvs Da Cock Well-Known Member

Every Region in the org (CCS) has thier own Class Champions and there OverAll Champion (just one per region).At the end of the year all the regions meet up at the (ROC at Daytona) and your grided by where you finished in each of your classes.Win a race and your the National champion of that class.National Champions earn the #1 spot on the front row of that class the next year no matter what.I guess the biggest winner we be the person with the most National Championships.ASRA is CCS pro series and they have nothing to do with each other, as far as points concern.

16. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

And THAT makes sense.

17. stickboy274

Yeah. They also do the same thing for each track. That starts getting to busy. Overall. The person that ran and finished well in the most races. That's why those guys do the start and park. The take the green flag and pull in to get points for last. Then head off to the next race. It lets you run a lot of races back to back. WERA says, you only get points if you take the checker. That will take some of that out of it.

18. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

I agree that for each track is too much. And I also agree that you should only get points for taking the checker.

19. stickboy274

Maybe do overall for the first year. If it's not to crazy to actually get it done, then go to each region from there.

20. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

I guess my point is that it is sort of hollow, and who wants that. It's like just sort of picking a champion from multiple soccer teams among different leagues. And I'm not arguing that the idea for getting more entries is bad.