1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A123 LiPo battery = lose flywheel/alternator?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by slomo, Oct 27, 2010.

1. slomo

slomo Member

Okey dokey, so I've installed a lightweight LiPo battery in my GSXR1000K7 track bike. Some part of me couldn't quite believe that dinky wee battery pack would do the job of that boat anchor of a standard battery....but wonder of wonders crank and run she did, WOOHOO!

So apart from the weight saving the advantage of this magic lil' pack is that it charges soooooo much quicker than a lead acid battery....which means you can effectively lose the alternator/flywheel, and just charge the cute lil' fella between sessions/races.

My question for the cogniscenti is: do I want to? Lose the flywheel/alternator, I mean. Is it really just so folks don't stall outside their favourite latte bar or does it actually serve some usefull purpose in a race application?

Back in the day (early R1's etc) it used to be common to see a blanking plate replacing the left hand engine cover (still got one in my shed!)but ya just don't see it these days...are cranks etc light enough not to warrant removing the flywheel? I'm just a mid-pack club racer Downunder, so is the temptation of removing a fair lump of rotating mass something I should put out of my talent-challenged brain?

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

3. mattg

mattg Well-Known Member

These little batteries may pack a ton of umph, but they don't have a lot of capacity.

they can start the bike, but running it for any length of time hasn't really been tested... go for it, let us know how long you bike can run with the stator disconnected.

Are you running 1p or 2p setup? I have 1p in my gsxr600 but I have it wired up to run 2p if I decide to go total loss, I need to rig up a quick disconnect charging system if I do.

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I had a buddy that ran a total loss system on his CBR600. I know he had to keep it up above 7k RPMs to keep the battery from draining.

5. brveagle

brveagle Well-Known Member

I'm not the brightest on total loss systems, but how would engine RPM effect charging the battery if the bike had not stator/rotor? I can understand keeping a motor revved to get the correct amount of current from the windings of the stator, but if all of that is gone, how does the 7k rpms play into it?

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

BDK out of the UK makes race generators that do away with the stock flywheel. It took over 4 pounds off the end of my SV crank. Not sure if they make one for a GSXR1000. This and the tiny battery dropped over 12 pounds off my bike. Too bad I can't/won't lose 12 pounds off my body!

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have the 11 oz Speedcell battery (smallest and lightest they make) on my track 750 and have had zero issues with it whatsoever- the bike starts right away even when it sits for 2 weeks at a time and in the lower fall temps now.

8 months on the bike- zero issues

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

:confused:
    I dunno. That's just what he told me as he was charging it — again. :D

9. joe859

joe859 Active Member

I just tested an 8-cell LiFe (A123) in 2p4s configuration on my 07 Gsxr 600. Just disconnected the reg/rect and started the bike with a jumper battery to save the charge a little. Ran on a 2.6 mile track for 28 minutes before the motor quit. Ran great right up to about 27 minutes and then sputtered and died like I ran out of gas. The gauges wouldn't even come on completely. Starting no-load voltage was 14.2V, ending no-load voltage was 10.8V. This is barely enough to get a 7 lap sprint race in, complete with pre-grid, warmup lap, and final grid, race, and cool-down. A 3p-4s (12 cell) would do it easily, I think, and maybe even do a 30 minute solo endurance. Have to do more testing.

10. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Take your facts and data and get out of here. This is no place for that. You should make some snarky and vague comments about how you know the answer and everyone else is stupid for not known that answer too and then mention bewbies. sheeshhh... newbie.... :rolleyes:

11. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

And hope there isn't a red flag.

12. slomo

slomo Member

Haha, exactly, what sort of place d'ya think this is: never let hard data get in the way of hearsay and innuendo fella!

Nah, thanks heaps for that. I'm running exactly the same 2p-4s setup so applies well to my situation. I ran an old '00 R1 with no flywheel/alternator with a lightened crank and the the thing turned nicely and revved soooo crisply without that extra spinning mass, but I wonder if the newer stuff would be too "instantaneous"?

Thanks for all the input.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Can never be too instantaneous :)

Well, no, I take that back. There is one situation I can think of where it is possible to be too instantaneous.

14. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

So what is the 2p4s configuration? I'm guessing 2 rows of 4 cells...

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

^^ You guessed right...

the 3p4s is the 3 row, 4 cell configuration with higher capacity.

16. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

:crackup:

:up:

17. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Your friend didnt have total loss, he had some magnets removed from the flywheel or a crappy aftermarket unit.