1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well it's done first clutch and Fork rebuild need some feedback

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Twissta, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Twissta

Twissta Well-Known Member

Well a few weeks ago I posted a thread for some tip's, pointers etc on putting a clutch in a CBR F2 91 and got allot of help from you guy's! I first want to say THANK YOU :bow: !

Now I have some more to ask:
    after the clutch was installed there was a little leaking so we are going to use some liquid gasket to help seal the bond between the casing and the gasket, hopefully that will stop the leaking. I used the crisscross pattern to tighten bolts " but what happened why the Leak?

Now clutch seems to work fairly well couldn't start the bike due to dead battery gone put on trickle charger to charge and start bike tomorrow and see if the clutch works, engaging and disengaging like it should, there is a 1/8 slack before the lever has tension to engage the actuator to work the clutch but every time I try too fine tune it at the lever or at the bottom I loose the tension I need to engaged the clutch. My goal is to adjust it so that I can have the lever pull like the motop bike, easy yet does it's job, it is easy but I think there is some room for fine tuning. Even if I don't achieve the motogp pull I would like to get close any help would be great?

The Fork rebuild went flawless waiting to see if everything works, installed a stiffer spring (1kg) and replaced the oil seal and dust seal no leaks yet but that might be, because no pressure has been applied so any info. on what to look out for would help?

Now I must say that being in school for motorcycle mechanic (online)has given my great confidence but there are some things that I have never done like what I just wrote about. I have only been in school for two weeks and carry a 93% grade point average, but that don't mean nothing till you have hands on, so far I have done minor stuff friends can't do or won't do. So you real mechanics help a guy out with your vast knowledge you will get Blessed in the End!

Thanks in advance,
    Twissta

P.S. I am trying to get this ready for the 27 Nov Fontana track day!:clap::beer::up::D:wow:

2. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

Fork oil measurement is exceedingly important and I haven't seen you make mention of it. Fork rebuilds traditionally used thicker oil as well, what brand and weight did you use (if any at all)?
    The only reason I ask is that if you didn't change your oil, you're shooting yourself in the foot because the metal shavings from the last X,XXX miles are in their still, waiting to assault your seals (which you oiled first, right?).

Let's hope I'm being paranoid and overly mouthy tonight.

3. KawiRyder78

KawiRyder78 Member

what he said /\

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

did you use a new gasket on clutch cover?

5. Twissta

Yes I used new fork oil 10w, and also measured the spring washer height to the top of the fork, minus cap length to calculate the spacer size and added about 20mm for final spacer cut. By the way Big shout out too Louie at Race tech, He answered all my questions and was very patient!

6. Twissta

Brand spankin New OEM to be exact!:D

7. Twissta

It worked out to about 120m from the top of the fork, per Louie from race tech:up:

Thanks

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

That's one way to conserve oil use ;)

When you say "about" 120mm, How accurate are you? Your accuracy makes a big difference when you get around to fine tuning your suspension.

9. Twissta

I was told to measure 120m from the top of the fork tube to the top of the oil level and that number was about 120mm.

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

did you make sure all of the old gasket was cleaned off before you installed new gasket?

11. brveagle

brveagle Well-Known Member

Bingo..

You really need to get BOTH surfaces nice and clean. A little debri can go a long way on preventing a good sealing surface.

12. Twissta

yes, went back today to tie up some loose end and got it all fixed going to work for the rest of the week so monday i will be able to see if the leak has been fixed :up: