1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm by no means an advocate for illegal downloading, but....

Discussion in 'General' started by james walker, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I own 3 or 4 thousand CDs (and used to have around 2 thousand pieces of vinyl) and some of them suck but I don't want my money back on any.

Even if it sucks I still enjoy each and every one of them.

2. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

that's not the point i was speaking to.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Totally agree, even though I only have around 500 CDs. I hated the whole napster thing from the outset, because almost every time I bought an album for the one song I had heard somewhere, there was always another 1 or two that I liked as wellthat were never big hits. Plus, I liked the cover art and all that bullshit. I was just out of college when Napster really got huge and I can honestly say I never downloaded a single song.

I used to close my eyes and randomly pick a CD in the stacks, and listen to the whole thing. 9 out of 10 times I would be pleasently surprised with shit I would have never picked out if I had looked.

Now, I just hit 'shuffle' on the Ipod or PC. :D

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Criminal...

5. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Learned from Zappa.

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Answer is simple - Don't buy it.

7. Venom51

My point is the industry and specifically the major labels are partially to blame for their current state of affairs...10 shit songs and one that people like by an artist who will never be heard from again for 15 to 18 bucks part of the reason people started looking for a way to get that one track and ignore the rest of the shit they use a filler.

Doesn't make it right but...

I do buy some stuff but I have to have heard most of the album and find most of it good before I'll make the purchase.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Learned from the Grateful Dead. There's a band that encouraged you to copy/redistribute do whatever you like with the music. Worked out quite well for them.

So, how did they get filthy stinking rich?:)

9. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Zappa sued WB in the 70s,raised $2million independent of band and the day-to-day budget.He won,started his own label and went into overdrive.Many other big artists followed suit (Springsteen,Mellencamp,Collective Soul etc ).Zappa always said,"It pays to audit." He made sure he got paid.

The Greatful Dead weren't filthy rich.Garcia,at the time of his death,only had about $500k worth of assets.For the amount they generated,that's rather meager.

10. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Yep the Grateful Dead king was more than likely grateful for the 500K and his band's good name, (Heroin use aside).

Money is not everything and protecting IP to the point of ignorance is why Suzie Soccer Mom can't afford her Insurance rated Tier 3 5K a month prescription, and thousands of Africans die of Aids. Flame away but wrong IS right sometimes. A "poor" thief feeding his family by stealing IS different. Or should we throw Grandma and Gramps in jail for driving to Mexico and Canada for affordable drugs?

When Woodstock was free magical things happened, when Woodstock was rehashed with $4 bottles of water, people promptly burned it to the ground. The cost of most bank robbery investigations is usually more than the take, it's about protecting the system not recouping funds.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

If he had spent less money on hookers and blow he might have been worth more than 500K.

12. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Switch to de-caf,Jesus Christ it's Sunday.

Subject: Illegal Downloading

13. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I'll ignore the rest of your ignorant and wrong-headed rant to just ask this: Were you at either of those events? I was, and you are full of shit. Woodstock I was a disaster-in-the-making due to a total lack of logistical planning. They were landing helicopters fifteen feet away from a half-million people. Smart. Real Smart. There was NO plan to feed all those people. They threw sandwiches from the helicopters t get the people away from the Landing Zones, not to feed them. One in every hundred got a sandwich. People got robbed and raped, drug dealers sold poison as dope, none got reported or prosecuted because there were no police or authorities for miles. They simply did not have enough manpower to handle the size of the crowd. There was no food, no sanitation, no way to move people in and out of the site. If the temperature had gone up or down by just 15 degrees there could have been hundreds of deaths from exposure. That was NOT magic, it was luck. Woodstock II was a for-profit event that failed to make a profit, but they had a logistic plan and the lives of the participants were not ignored.

(BTW, as regards the bank robbery statement, did you forget that almost all bank robberies involve a threat of physical attack on a working person? You think they should stop investigating when the cost reaches the "take?")

Oh, yeah, we were talking about Illegal Downloading. It is stealing. Call it what you like, if you do it, you are a thief. You don't need music to survive, and your babies won't die if you don't have some Black Eyed Peas mixes in your iPod, so that whole specious argument is totally BS.

There is no such thing as entitlement to entertainment. You want some music, decide whether you want it enough to pay the asking price. If not, just don't get it!

14. sanfret

sanfret Almost as fast as my kid

drive drunk risking the lives or others and get hit with 20k... steal $130 worth of songs and get hit with millions??

15. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

your point is, you just outlined that you don't have a good point here.

the bottom line is, if you want that one song go ahead and fucking BUY it for $.99

yes, people have been sharing music forever. but when you're taking another artist's work and sharing it with thousands of people who you don't know.....that's fucked up....and does ultimately cost the artist and a good smaller record company....like dischord/SST/4AD/etc. it's not always about the big majors

i completely agree with dave k. this lady can eat shit.

16. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

17. I cheered when I saw the verdict. I sincerely hope the RIAA comes after all of you cocksuckers who steal copyrighted material. I will cheer every time.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The RIAA is a group of fucktards who I hope die slowly in a kerosene fire but they are better than the thieves who steal from the artists. Imagine what I wish on the thieves.

19. Venom51

Did you miss the part where I have never downloaded shit...I have a completely seperate argument about torrents and file sharing...it's the number one way to distribute viruses to PC these days. No need to bother hacking into anyone's PC when you can get a boat load of dumb people to do it for you by offering free music.

I don't trust anyone I have never met.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Unrelated: Kenny, I'm going to need your help again with a laptop next weekend. :)

It'd take you 5 minutes. Me? I'm 2 years into not caring but now I sort of care. :D