Valve stems on race bike tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gogi, Oct 27, 2010.

1. gogi

gogi Well-Known Member

Is there any reason I shouldn't use 90* valve stems on my race wheels?? 2 EX500's and a 650R Ninja all stock rims

2. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

There is no reason not to replace them....

One of the first mods I do is replace them with the 83 degree stems:

Kurvey Girl, Rider's Discount - they all sell them!
    :up:

3. gogi

gogi Well-Known Member

Why 83? And thanks

4. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

'Cause the 83 degree ones she sells are about 10 bucks. The other ones she has, that are aluminum and 90 degrees, are about 30 bucks. :D

I have the 83 steel ones. They work great.

5. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

That's the angle of the dangle that I have mostly seen - and makes it easier to use than a full 90 degrees as well...

6. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

These 90° (83°, actually) valve stems make life much easier, especially on bikes with over-sized brake rotors.
    [​IMG]

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

make sure the stems face the correct way when installing!

8. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

???

is there a correct direction when mounting? can't it just be either left or right? i've never had them but ordering them this off season.

9. 1twenty2

1twenty2 WERA #122

I have mine facing out the right side of the wheel when looking down at it. Think of it as what would be easiest to check your tire pressure quickly? I'm right handed so that is what works best for me.

10. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Almost a necessity on the front wheel. Not so much on the rear but you have to match! Get the red ones. I hear they are faster!!! :D

12. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

I use the same valve stems..There EXCELLENT

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dont align them with a spoke or lip that makes it harder to access:up: (especially with gloves on)

14. Ironman11

Ironman11 Well-Known Member

Use those valve stems. I have them and love them

15. keeena

keeena Member

Do most sportbikes have the same valve stem size? And if so, which: 11.3mm or 8.3mm?

[edit] - Found the details on the KurveyGirl site. 11.3mm for most Japanese bikes. Yay.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  16. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Not a "correct" direction so much as a smarter direction. We prefer to have them facing away from the exhaust side of the bike. If you're racing a new R1 or a Ducati, then you have free reign. :D

17. its_nero

its_nero Well-Known Member

makes life a lot easier. those brake discs can be pretty damn hot coming off the track.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Meh... Brakes just slow you down...

19. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

been using the 83's for a few years now. Actually, ever since my wife blistered the back of hand a few years ago checking the pressure right off the track for me (needless to say, even tho i got the angled stems, she still refuses to do that anymore.)

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

They also help keep your tire pressure consistent.

Normal valves are perpendicular to the wheel hub with the tip pointing in.

When the wheel is rotating there's a rotational pull..which can compress the spring a whee bit and let air seep out. Yes, you are probably using valve step caps..but if they don't seal well..air's escaping.

Angled valve stems keep that rotational pull from potentially effecting the spring/valve.