1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

device not communicating - pc3 dead?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by natedogg624, Oct 14, 2010.

1. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

pc3 crashed when trying to update the firmware.

i've searched and i know i need to reset with a 9v battery but with all 8 of the 9v batteries, fresh out of the pack, nothing is allowing the device to communicate between the pc3 and the computer.

are there any lights supposed to be on if the battery adapter is plugged in? right now there are none no matter if there is battery connected or not.

also, the power commander control center says its connecting(ed) to the pc3usb but always get the no communication error.

i get an error: device not communicating 0x006

can't send maps or retrieve any map on there. it seems like something is going on that the computer is recognizing there is a device on the other end, but i can't send or receive data from it.

also can't even reset the device through teh environment options.

bike won't fire, no lights at all on the pc3

id reallly like to not sent the unit in.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Well-Known Member

You done f'd up.You need a part from dynojet to update,or now reload the firmware. It used to come with the ignition module. I can't find it on their website. Give them a call and they'll sell it to you.

(I did the same thing a couple years ago)

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Well-Known Member

4. HobbesHas1

HobbesHas1 Well-Known Member

I just went through this last week.

Dynojet's email;
    You will need to load the firmware update again while powering the unit with the 9 volt battery adaptor. It will not accept a firmware update while the engine is running. It will go into bootloader mode and stop.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

You need to download the upgrade from the website. You want version V2.3.2
    http://www.powercommander.com/power...wercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCIIIUSB

Hook it up to the battery and try to download it again. There's a little trick that doesn't come to mind, so you if you play around with it with no luck then their customer service is great and handle this exact problem 100s of times a day. I fubbed mine up because I was downloading a map and hit the firmware upgrade without turning off the bike, but the result was the same.

5. natedogg624

how do i know the battery adaptor is actually powering the unit correctly?

i believe i tried this, but everything except the ground was still connected to the bike when doing the 9v attempt. went to download the firmware onto the pc3usb and came up with another error 0x002a

6. HobbesHas1

The end lights on the light bar should light up. They don't blink or flash like when you start the bike, but they light up and stay lit. Have everything hooked up and ready to download when you call tech support which takes like 5 minutes.

7. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my CBR; tried to update the firmware to run the ignition module (with the pc3 still attached to the bike) and it crashed and kept giving me error messages. Long story short, you have to get into it with the dynojet software and do the update manually.
    The exact method escapes me right now, but a call to Dynojet had me fixed up in less than 15 minutes- so, much like Geico, I guess; it's worth your time to call.

8. natedogg624

did you need any special additional parts (other than the battery adapter)?

too bad i've been number 3 in the queue line with "avg wait time of 7 minutes" for the past 22 minutes.

good to hear though that it sounds like it should be fixable here at home instead of having to send it out

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  9. natedogg624

looks like i need the power commander programmer box.

10. HobbesHas1

Bummer. Someone with the same issue borrowed one from a local shop.

11. natedogg624

i called everyone around my area and nobody had one and one harley tech couldn't get over the fact i sportbike.