Newb question: prep track gixxer

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by ovd, Oct 9, 2010.

1. ovd

ovd Active Member

Hey, folks, a newbie here. Please forgive the lame questions, but may be the crowd here will be willing to help me out.
    I'm getting into track days and was wondering where I should start with track prepping a bike. I was at mid-ohio twice with my k1300s during the summer and was immediately hooked. I don't want to risk crashing the beemer anymore at the track (not counting the fact that it’s too heavy and funny front suspension is vague like hell) and am contemplating buying a 600 gixxer (with the incentives going on now like 0% APR and 1500 off MSRP I may even buy a new one). Budget, of course, is not made of stretchable rubber and is unfortunately fixed and I'm planning the finances that I may need to spend during the next year on tracking the gixxer. I think I will be at the track 5-6 times in 2011. The only things that I'm sure I need to start with are:
    - Race bodywork (hotbodies, new or used if I find any)
    - Exhaust
    - steel brake lines
    - pitt-bull stand
    So, the question is what is the basic upgrade package of parts I "need" to get? Aftermarket brakes, disks? Clip-ons? Rearsets? Suspension? How “essential” all of those are and why, if you don’t mind explaining (told you I’m a newborn).
    Any advice is appreciated.

2. repsol600

repsol600 Well-Known Member

im also a newber but from i have read and seen the best upgrade you can do is in your suspension... at least get it set up for your weight and such and if ya can sweing it get cartridges for your forks and a upgraded rear shock, be it penske,ohlins, racetech or whatever
    other than that the SS lines will be good but rotors or calipers i wouldn't say are necessary, rearsets are a nice addition but not 100% necessary right out of the gate, get some stands , good rubber and your suspension set up and youll be good to go
    hope that helps, im sure other more experienced riders will chime in but thats my .02
    good luck

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Don't buy a brand new bike, get something already prepped off of here. It will save you time and money.

4. ovd

ovd Active Member

I'm thinking about it all the time, but I'm afraid of what I will actually buy. I'm not that tech savvy to make a thorough technical eval of the bike and I will not be able to test ride it even if the seller will let me since the bike will not be street legal. I will have to take the bike to the track to actually try it... and then find out that the frame is bent or something...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  5. repsol600

repsol600 Well-Known Member

^ i wouldn't be afraid of someone screwing you over on here...from what ive seen most of these guys are very straight up and will give ya the shirt off there back...that would honestly be the way to go...you can get a sick bike fully prepped with everything you need and more for half the price of a new bike especially just for trackdays... i know a 06 r6 just got sold and it was in immaculate condition with everything for 5k....so don't be afraid of that

6. eboos

eboos Slowski

ovd, I would agree with others that say to get a bike that is already prepped. For the price that you would pay for a new bike, even if it was a steal from the dealership, you could buy a very well setup trackbike. Things like suspension work will add up in price, but are usually the first thing done with a prepped bike.

Take a look in the classifieds here. Look for sellers that may have a higher post count. They are people that are part of this community, not just looking to sell something.

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The end of race season is upon us. Now is a good time to begin looking for good deals on someone wanting to upgrade to a newer bike for next year.

Good Luck

8. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes Member

Suspension set-up (no money required unless you need springs)
    Make it crash worthy (rearsets, clip-ons, frame sliders, bodywork)
    Seat time.

That's all you need. You don't need better brakes, more power, or $500 race tires. Just ride it.

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I jumped right in 1 month ago and picked up a 98 GSXR 750 which had loads of nice aftermarket parts all brand new (Braking front & rear rotors, Galfer pads and braided lines, Power Commander, full Yoshimura RS-3 Titanium exhaust which looks like it just came from the factory, carbon fiber front guard, airbox modded, upgraded GSXR 1000 forks, Ohlins steering damper & mount, Bridgestone racing slicks like new and bike had been safety wired.
    I paid $760.00 on FeeBay but the catch was the bike had no fuel tank so I was taking a risk although a small risk at that :) I could have easily parted the bike out for $3000 to $4000 if I found the motor didn't run once I installed the used tank & fuel pump. Oh I picked up a near mint tank and pump also on FeeBay for $170.00.
    With the help from members here & gibber.com forum I was able to get the bike running and have since installed race fairings and completed 2 track day events at Willow Springs & Streets of Willow. Total cost $1110 and many hours of scouring the internet for parts.
    I'd say jump right in, if theres something needing attention or fixing it will better aquaint you with your new (used) bike and you'll learn loads from this forum and the great folks on here.
    Good luck and keep us posted :)

10. eboos

eboos Slowski

Good advise if he is planning to do trackdays with a bike that he already has. In this case however, he is looking to buy a bike specificly for riding in trackdays.

11. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

i was going to track a street bike, but in my opinion your better off buying a track bike that has already been prepped. all i had to do was swap out the coolant and have the suspension set up for me.

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

As others have said, just find a trackbike already prepped. You will save a ton of time, money and headache.

13. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

What's your location? If you've been to Mid Ohio there's plenty of guys from around that area that can help you out on here.

14. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

IMO, you don't NEED any of these things to be upgraded. However, they all make your life easier. Unless you're skinny, fork springs will go a long way.

As far as brakes go, OEM is fine. Upgrade the pads when you need new ones. Get lines when you have some pocket change. A race body is nice because stock stuff is worth so much money. Hotbodies are cheaper to replace. For the price difference, I would get armor or sharkskinz.

Clipons and rearsets are most valuable in that it's easier to fix them track side. The rearsets should also provide a bit of crash protection, a bit.

As far as a rear shock goes, they feel a lot better and aren't as harsh as stock stuff (for my fat weight, because of all the preload tubby needs).

Like everyone else, I would suggest buying a bike that's already prepped for the track. It'll save you in the long run. As far as it being bent, most small tweaks you never notice. Take a picture of an OEM bike. Look where the wheel is in relation to the point on the lower. If the tire is rubbing, I'd run.

Before anyone jumps on me, I know triples, I know Chinese bodywork. However, does a new track rider need triples and do you really want a bike where someone went cheap on it to begin with?

I wouldn't get race tires either. I race on pirelli diablo trackdays, or whatever they are called. They hold up well and they are WAY cheaper.

One last thing, have you considered something smaller, like an SV or something like that?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  15. ovd

ovd Active Member

I'm in Cincinnati.

16. ovd

ovd Active Member

There's a twist to buying a bike already prepped: I will not be able to get used to it before a trackday. I've never really ridden a 600 sport replica before (may be just a few miles of my friend's) and would like to start getting used to it on the streets. Well, I suppose I can always stick mirrors and lights onto it...

In any case, I think I see where the center of gravity of the opinions sits and I really appreciate everyone's input.

17. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

True statement...I brought two bike from here last year.

18. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

I think it's pretty easy to get used to riding any bike. The only thing I rode that was really weird was a KX65 and a chopper. But they're pretty big extremes.

19. eboos

eboos Slowski

There is always a Novice group that you can do your first couple of sessions in while you are getting used to the bike.

At a trackday prior to the last round at LRRS, I got on a new bike for the first time in 5 years. The first session I ran in the Novice group just to get a feel for the bike, just incase I felt like a total shit sandwich. After that session, I felt comfortible getting on pace. To be honest, I think the track, at a trackday would be the perfect place to learn your new bike. Just don't go nuts until you get a feel for the bike.

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^ With this guy, just run the novice group for a session or two. Riding the bike around on the street isn't going to tell you much about it anyway. Might as well get used to it on the track.