1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help identify Race Tech 25 mil kit

Discussion in 'Tech' started by motogypsy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. motogypsy

motogypsy is not the enemy

I just bought a bike that was supposed to have a Race Tech 25 mill kit in it...
    I just took the forks apart...and I dont see anything that would lead me to believe they are anything other than stock....is there a way to identify a Race tech kit just from looking?????

thanx,

2. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

If the cartridge's don't look like this, they're not Race Tech.

[​IMG]

3. motogypsy

motogypsy is not the enemy

so this is NOT a Race Tech 25 mil kit...???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Those are stock. I've got a set out of a Gsx-R in my garage right now that looks just like them.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's DEFINATELY stock internals....possibly its revalved inside, but that outer cartridge is stock.

6. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the photo for sure but those don't even look like they've ever been opened up. The peening of the oil lock piece on the shaft looks untouched. Most likely original valving. Time for a talk with the seller.

7. TrackF3

TrackF3 Well-Known Member

Measure the cross-section and substract 2-3mm for the tube walls.

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That's a stock Showa cartridge with what looks like an aftermarket spring. The compression valving may have been done, but I doubt the rebound valving has been touched. The mechanical bottom out is still in place.

I'd double check the valves just to be sure.

9. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

Stock internals Duane, go back and whoop his ass :)

10. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

I love honest sellers !!!!! People need shot

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I wonder wha they think? That people will never open the forks up.

12. Demented

I can't even imagine there being aftermarket valves in that cartridge. It's almost impossible to open up those things without at least having marks from a holding tool.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Hacks leave witness marks. Someone that knows that they are doing with the right tools and an aluminum cartridge vise won't mar the surface.

And someone at least replaced the spring. Look at the spacer and the witness marks on the cap from someone (probably) using an SAE socket. I'd still check the valving to see what's in them.

But, whatever it is, it's not an RT cart.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  14. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

These fugging crooks are betting on the fact that a good amount of people couldn't tell the difference in feel and wouldn't be able to visually identify them.

I would go back and cut his hands off because he basically just stole from you.

:tut:

15. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Is the seller a WERA BBS member??

16. Demented

Even with the right tools, there's at least some indication that the tools were put on to take the thing apart. Not marring or damaging, but you can usually tell on the stock anodizing, since it's not a hard anodize.