Ohlins vs Traxxion fork internals

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Spanky R1, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Spanky R1

Spanky R1 Average Guy

I know this is sort of subjective, but tell me what you don't like about one vs the other. I'm trying to choose and I can't really afford to try both.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Nicati

Nicati Well-Known Member

Very interested as I'm in the same boat.

3. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

I think they are both great quality, but I think most racers will say you might get more ohlins service at the races than Traxxion. I myself know some of the guys at Traxxion so i am biased that way. They did my FZ1 and on my gixxer I have ohlins front and penske rear that traxxion serviced for me...

Do not think you can go wrong either way. I believe Cory West has Traxxion up front. He did awesome at RA with his set up.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I have never seen traxxion at a WERA event that I have attended. Ohlins is often there.

5. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

that being my point of mentioning it....so here on this forum I would think the bias would be Ohlins for the above reason, but Iknow quite a few run Traxxion

6. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I have Traxxion AK-20s up front and Penske out back. The AK-20s are compatible with most (if not all) modern inverted forks, so they can be installed in whatever your current bike is and any future bikes.

I'm not sure the Ohlins cartridges are universal. If they are, then I'd say it's a tossup. But having Ohlins trackside is definitely a big plus.

And Traxxion may not be trackside often (I don't know), but they're customer service is very solid. I send my forks in, they do their thing, and get them back out pronto.

7. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

Ohlins suspension is based on progressive damping. Traxxion is based on digressive damping. They feel quite different. There is a reason why Traxxion isn't at WERA rounds, but I don't know the exact details so I won't pass along hearsay. I'm sure someone will chime in.

I've ridden both, Traxxion when properly tuned are decent. A common complaint is that they blow through the compression stroke on braking. Personally I prefer Ohlins. As with most things, the biggest factor is who you have set it up for you. A really good suspension guy can make a lot of stuff work well.

8. Spanky R1

Spanky R1 Average Guy

Awesome info, thanks looking for
    more info like this.

9. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

No problem. If I were you, I'd call Thermosman and ask him to explain the differences to you. He's the best out there and will obviously be Ohlins biased, but with reason. He will also give you a very fair description of what to expect from the other brands as well.

Then call Traxion and ask them to do the same.

You should have a pretty good idea of who to go with after that.

The only other thing I will suggest is to match your front and rear suspension. If you go with Ohlins, go full ohlins. IF you go with Traxion, get a penske rear.

10. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Interesting read, I really hope there are some suspension deals at the end of the season like last year. Kicking myself I didn't jump on them when they were out.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

You sure about that? I thought the only regressive valving Traxxion used was in the AK-Gas kit?

Not saying you're wrong, just not sure if you're right either. :D

12. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

I have ran both in my bikes, I installed both and have serviced both on my bikes.. as a do it yourself job they are both just as easy to work on. As far as which to use, unless you can do it yourself I would pick whoever is going to be able to help you the most with service.. as with local tire venders, create a relationship and stick with them.. dont' go jumping ship every year.

13. Spanky R1

Spanky R1 Average Guy

Hmmm

Well, I already picked up a Penske rear, so that may lock me in. I'm leaning towards Ohlins up front from what I'm hearing/reading and they seem to be more prevelant. What are the issues with mixing other than the service issue?

14. Spanky R1

Spanky R1 Average Guy

Ive thought about buying the internals and installing them myself. I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I could do it with some instructions for the first time or two until I figure it out. I know there are some special tools that I would need. I feel like I'm a pretty capable mechanic, how difficult is it really??

15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

That is the same type up I would do. I just moved my AKs from my old bike to the new. It cost a grand total of $250 including shipping and new adapter plates.

I always deal with Lee Spliter, Hell of a guy, very customer oriented.

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Traxxion will usually put out a 10% off deal in Dec (maybe Nov) IIRC. they have the last 2 or 3 years

17. GIXXERMO600

GIXXERMO600 Well-Known Member

interesting that you bring this up as I have had the same issue/ question....

the facts: bought a trackbike with a brand new traxxion dynamics front fork suspension and an ohlins rear shock.

the technical problem: at a TD's this summer, I could not hold a line for the life of me... the bike was bouncing around like a po-go stick

the repair: even after trying to have the suspension set up adjusted, nothing worked. had a former AMA crew chief work on the suspension of the bike. turned out to be a double rebound which caused my bike to hop everywhere. when the front forks were disassembled, the rebound spring/ couplers were both facing the same direction instead of opposing directions causing the entire issue.... traxxion assembled.

conclusion: i understand mistakes can occur during building, yet this really should have been caught prior to shipping out imo. for that reason alone, i am inclined to go Ohlins or Penske for the future. I am certain that Traxxion makes solid products but this issue caused alot of heartache over a 2 day TD experience.

18. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

Lee, is a friend and all I can say is Traxxion service is awesome.

19. GIXXERMO600

GIXXERMO600 Well-Known Member

I am not doubting their customer service at all... just stating my issue with TD forks...it in essence created a very dangerous situation on the track for me.

I am also not doubting their craftsmanship. As I mentioned, I understand mistakes happen. So I am not bashing the company, but rather, stating that personally, I am inclined to deal elsewhere.

My forks have been rebuilt by an AMA tech and operate perfect now. That is what counts.

20. Spanky R1

Spanky R1 Average Guy

WOW that sux. I don't blame you for being upset that must have been a huge headache trying to figure that out. I have heard countless people say that Traxxion service is nothing short of amazing, so I seriously doubt you would have a problem again. Something like lightning striking the same place twice, on Tuesday.