1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06-07 R6 fuel filter issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by c7fx, Sep 8, 2010.

1. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

Have had issues with the bike breaking up 4th -6th gear anyways after chasing many other things mostly electrical I removed the fuel pump. The filter is caked with debris.
    Any idea how to clean it? I don't think I can buy just a filter :rolleyes:

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I used brake parts cleaner and air but that was for a GSXR. I believe the Yamaha has a wire mesh one?

3. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

Its not wire mesh. The filter isn't very big and looks more like a tea bag. I used compressed air and some carb cleaner but not sure its enough. I replaced the whole pump with an extra I had. I would like to keep this one as a back up if I can get it cleaned properly.

4. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

any idea how you got that much debris in there jeff? or was it pretty normal and just needed its cleaned/replaced interval?

5. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

Not sure Nate I'm wondering if I found a bad fuel station over the last 3 years.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There's charcoal or something that looks like it inside there. Compressed air and a pick for embedded fibers is exactly what I use. The R6 pump is pretty robust compared to the GSX-R. Just blow the crap on the outside off and put it back together.