1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power One

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gorilla, Feb 4, 2009.

1. tapcon

tapcon Member

I ran the street/track version of the Power One's' for two trackdays at NJMP (T-Bolt and Lightning). They inspired a lot of confidence for me. However, I just got bumped to Intermediate, so I'm a lot slower than most of you guys on here. I'm hoping to get one more day out of the rear before replacing it. I ran them at 30f/27r as per the website.

This was after day 1 on Lightning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

That tire has alot of life left in it. I've run them at track days till they looked like slicks. They were the comp version not the commercial.

3. mysticblu999

mysticblu999 Active Member

Keep running those things. I wear mine til bald or until I'm sliding around. I'm a cheap ass.

4. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

that tire is new

5. random hero

random hero Banned

Just food for thought, my local Michelin vendor said the newer Michelin tires are good for 35-40 heat cycles, and when coming off track put the warmers on the tires, but don't turn them on... this will let them slowly cool down which is easier on the tire.

6. ASMATech

ASMATech Well-Known Member

After using the Power Ones for 1.5 seasons, I've had severe problems with the 160 rear on my SV. I've tried to vary the pressure, on both the soft and medium compounds, but they go off drastically mid-corner after just a couple heat cycles. They seem to work OK in colder weather but the summer heat here in Southern New Mexico turns them into mush.
    Another SV rider, Ken Murray, had the exact same problems with the same tire. The only reason I beat him was I had only 2 heat cycles on mine(morning warmup sessions). But later that day, he smoked me by about 10 seconds with a set of his Pirelli take offs.
    I tried one of my shagged Pirellis on the same weekend and they gave better feedback and mid-corner grip than the semi-fresh Michi's. Michelin contingency is superior to all other manufacturers IMO but what's the use if you're losing time nursing the bike to the line.
    After the summer break, I'm back to Pirelli for sure.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that tire is still in great shape.. Should have no issues for quite some time. Run them till the rain sipes are GONE.. then run it some more. Don't let the sipes being gone distract you, ride it that way and see what you think.

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I rode on my Power One Race B 160 rear until the tread pattern was gone. Only then did it start to slide on me. It hung in there for 3 race weekends (2 at VIR, 1 at Roebling) but CMP finished it off rather quick with the abrasive surface. Kind of cool spinning it up in the new section before the last turn with only 72hp. The right side of the tire was wasted but still predictable.

9. Munch

Munch Well-Known Member

What's your cold tire pressure?

10. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

Werd.

[​IMG]

11. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Are you using that for track days, race or is it pulling street duty now? Just curious?

There is no way I can get one to last much more than when the sipes are gone. It still feels great, it's just that the tire begins to loose chunks of rubber.

12. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

+1. Also, what kind of bike?

That photo really makes me want to try these.

13. RollieManollie

Chris - let me know if you do want to try them. I got a pile of V fronts with about 32 laps on each that you can have. All you would need to do is buy a rear.

14. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

That was a 180 B on a 06 GSXR600. Bought as a race take-off from a WERA racer (Aggro?), ridden one trackday in the cold, ridden off and on one trackday in dry and rain(sucked wet!), when it looked like this...

[​IMG]

Then one weekend of trackday riding (multiple groups at various speeds as monitor) on a warm track stripped it of its sipes. Actually, they were well on their way Saturday. But like MELK-MAN said, try it. I tried it and it continued to stick when the sipes were gone. It eventually developed a gutter, or trench, like the S1847C slick does, and that's when I figured it was done.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  15. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Thanks man - if you're coming to Summit and could bring one along I'd really appreciate it :up:

16. Chaun Goins

Chaun Goins Active Member

Would someone post up a picture of a PowerOne they consider done because having seen the previous two pics I'm thinking my tire guy has been taking me to the cleaners...

17. RollieManollie

No problemo!:beer:

18. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Suburban. I have a rear you can have. its a 180 but will work just fine for practice.

19. MELK-MAN

LOL.. HOLY CRAP! that is awesome.. :crackup:

20. MELK-MAN

"Done" is all relative. Relative to the pace the rider considering it is "done" that is. Find a fast rider to get take offs from, as the tires will have less than 20 laps more than likely.. the faster riders go through WAY more new tires, thus have GOOD take offs at fair price. Not some tire that has 12 heat cycles, and is closer to REALLY done than not.

What i suggest you do, is buy a NEW set, run em till YOU think they are done and look.. Then you will be able to be a better judge of a take off when it comes time to buy more if you don't feel like buying a brand new set for say a track day, or race weekend practice. Getting the RIGHT new tire is important though.. if it is gonna be cold, you would likely need the A rear, if it is gonna be above 70f you would want a B or C rear, etc. SO .. talk to a RACE vendor, don't get em online, so you get the right information and make an informed decision.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010