anyone freestyle or race BMX?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jordan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I still ride Freestyle, but not as much as I used to. I'm partial to Failure bikes b/c my friend owns them, but I like DK as well (can you tell I'm from OH? ;) ). Danscomp is still one of the biggest MOs in the business. Bikes these days are a lot different than they were even 5 years ago. All the 'cool' kids run no brakes or just back brakes and very few have gyros (aside from those that ride a lot of mini-ramp). Oh, the frames have shrunk in height (BB to TT) and most run as light as bike as they can get away with. A lot different than the old S&M Heavy as Fuck and Wilkerson Airlines of old.

2. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

no 1980's??
    damn im old...

3. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

damn, this brings back memories. I used to have a Haro Sport back in the day. Those classic 80's bikes bring in a lot of money now!

In case you guys were looking, ESPN just aired an awesome episode about the classics.

4. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

I am 41 and race bmx along with my 9 year old every Friday night. He has a haro mini csr and I ride a gt similar to the one in the previous post. I didn't spent a whole lot on our bikes and we compete with riders who have loads of money in their bikes. Keep it cheap and fun. It's fun kicking some 18 year old butts once in a while too!! Oh yeah it's Friday!

5. bsawicki

i still have my free agent pro- limo 20" also have my schwinn predator 24".....from 1988...i tried to get my oldest daughter into bmx about 3 years ago, took her to a track...i was more nervous than she was.
    she loved it ,i scared the shit out of my self, she wants a mtn. bike now

6. lrrs699

lrrs699 EX ccs/lrrs

i had a sweet Mongoose Comp, when mongoose was mongoose and not todays huffy:down:

anyone remember ELF frames? those were super light. too damn expensive for my ass..

ahh the memories

7. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

KUWAHARA KZ-1

HUTCH XL-24

Still have 'em.

I had mentioned in another BMX thread that all of us old timers should build our bikes back up and bring them to the track for show and tell. :D

8. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

Kuwahara - damn sweet bikes and always wanted one, shopped some of the new ones before buying the Verde but couldn't get the same deal.

How about some pics? Will post up mine a little later - also have a Diamondback 24" cruiser old school that still gets some miles on it.

9. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Back in 81 or 82.....

Attached Files:

10. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, that video is sick, especially after the 2:50 mark:wow: I wonder what Kevin Jones thinks of how flatland has progressed.

I've spotted some classics in the pits this season, my boy rolled out his "Profile" today, earlier I spotted a "Bully" and there was some other classic I spotted at the track earlier this season.

My memorable freestyle bikes were the Haro Sport, the Redline RL II-20 and then the Bully.

11. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Man I remember mowing lawns and shoveling driveways just to save up for my redline back in the day. Good times.

12. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Wow how time flies by! I had a Kuwahara that my parents bought for me north of the border and a few months later it was stolen from my house over night! Oh what memories!

13. Saltman

Saltman Curves Are Sexy

Man I feel old. Remember Haro, diamond back, Gt, redline, etc. Good stuff. I used to read the bmx mags every month. We had a track here in bham at oak mtn

14. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Most of "modern" flatland is a derivative of KJ. The whole "brake-less" craze was started by Chase Gouin, one of Kevin's disciples, for lack of a better term. Speaking of Chase, I remember the days when he was a fugitive and wasn't allowed into the US due to drug charges. I wonder if that's ever been cleared up or not.

Some recent Chase footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnSDXSvEmek

15. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

This pic was taken around 1982 when I was picked up for a Factory CW ride. Pistol Pete & Mike Miranda were Factory CW pros during this time. The pic was taken at Coal Canyon in Southern California. I'm leading Mike Luna in this pic. As you can see he was wearing the #3 plate & I was a new up & coming kid. Good Times!!

[​IMG]

16. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Me? Washing dishes and busing tables.In that pic above I paid for it,entry fees and all.

17. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Standard FTW! Owned by Rick Moliterno, who used to dominate in the early-mid 80s when I raced.

18. bsawicki

i had a grocery store and a landscaping company for a sponser , not bad for 13 year old kid to go and get money to race....what happened??
    alot has changed since 1984.....

19. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

SBC are the jam. They were the first freestyle bike co to offer lifetime warranty on their frames. I still remember the first Lengthy frame I got back in '95 and how stoked I was. Their frames were super expensive at the time (if I remember $350 just for the frame when an S&M DirtBike was going for ~$225), but their geometry was always so good. I still can't believe I could do rails on my 43lb Shaman back in high school. 14mm axle and 12ga 48 spoke wheels FTW! :p

20. eboos

eboos Slowski

Now I remember, Brian Scura was the guy who invented the Gyro and then started Scura Speed Technology (SST).

I really like Rick Moliterno's style. I tried using a freecoaster hub for a little while, but I just couldn't get used to the slack when pedaling after doing a backwards trick.