New class for 2011?

Discussion in 'General' started by gpstar748, Jul 26, 2010.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Talking to my friend in N. Ireland the other week and he mentioned they are bringing out a new class in their club racing over there that is growing in popularity...

It is for all pre-fuel injected bikes.....like older R6's, GSXR's, ZX6, CBR, etc....

IMHO this would be a more popular class than V7 especially since it would cover some bikes that fall in the gray area and would not be that competitive in the A, B, or C classes......

Thoughts?

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

How are the V7 rules different tha this class you speak of? The 2010 rules allow for non carbureated 60o/750's?

3. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

doesnt V7 stop at 1997?

if they changed it this year then everyone can tell me to RTFRB :D

4. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

This has been talked about the past two offseasons. The possibility of adding a V8 class or naming it something else. No MW/HW. Just one class, and having it be pre fuel injection, run what ya brung. It would give the V7 riders another class to race in also.

There are two V7 classes. MW and HW.

Vintage 7 Mediumweight
    Pre 1996 4-stroke multi cylinder up to 650cc.
    Pre 1996 4-stroke air cooled twins up to 1200cc.
    Pre 1996 4-stroke water cooled twins up to 800cc.
    All Honda CBR600F3 regardless of year, Kawasaki ZX6R up to 1997, Ducati 748 up to 2000 in Superstock trim other than tires, Buells - steel frames, no FI bikes, all years, stock displacement.

Vintage 7 Heavyweight
    Pre 1996 Unlimited displacement production machines.
    Pre 1996 Factory GP machines up to 500cc.
    RS and TZ 250’s through 1999.
    All Kawasaki ZX7 regardless of year (may use stock 6” rear wheel, aftermarket wheels must meet class specs), all Ducati 916 regardless of year.

I believe all years CBR 900RR will be indexed, as well as all years YZF750. Other than the exceptions, both classes are superbike rules. You can run USD forks and newer brakes, but no radial.

Pros to adding these bikes to V7 would be larger grids. Cons would be that most guys V7MW bikes would be outmatched, and a lot of them have spent years building them within the rules. Pros to adding another class would be that all V7 riders would bump up to said class giving them another competitive race to enter. Another con is the fact that WERA will have to find a race to piggypack the new class with (not to mention the money that goes in to adding a new class). F2 would work IMO. As it is, the lap times for Formula 2 and V7 are pretty similar.

There do seem to be a good bunch of the pre-injection bikes out there at track days. 1st gen R6, '96-97 GSXR750, CBR F4i, etc. It would be a good way to get people in to the sport for not a lot of money.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

V8 (for lack of a better working name) will happen eventually. I just don't know where the hell to put it right now and not 100% convinced on the need.

6. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

It would be a good class for sure. Thing is that so many people have said over the years they are coming out to play and never show. So you add the class get a couple bikes out and then thats it. I would wait and see how many people actually license for these bikes and go from there. I wouldnt commit to it until I knew I had enough bikes to make the class. It would suck to bump up and then not even see one of these bikes on the grid.

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

It would be interesting to see how many of those bikes are actually out there. It would be hard for me to consider a 98 GSXR 600 as vintage as my last one was 112 HP and 352 lbs. The carbed 750's were and still are fast. I'm not so certain I couldn't run pretty close to the same lap times on both my 98 and my 08.

8. Toxic Racing2

Toxic Racing2 a.k.a. kamikazejane

Pretty soon everyone will be asking for a pocket bike class as well :Poke: :D

9. KMC

KMC DUC|DET