1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for painting track plastics???

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by SPL170db, May 8, 2010.

1. phillycat-24

phillycat-24 knee down

The upper and tail were new, the lower was used and repaired.. I have my buddy fill in where the cracks and holes were with some plastic weld from pepboys.. Than he sanded it down for me.. I dont have a good hand with the drill to do that.. (he uses the drill with the adapter to use sand paper).. The only think is you would have to do like 4 coats of paint so you can build it up.. I noticed the difference from a good paint job compared to spray cans.. But it's all good when they crash they will turn out the same sad to say.. But just take your time and you will be ok.. Good luck..

Oh and i never tried the stripper I am not sure what it would do. It may eat threw the plastics not sure.. just sand it down

2. Tiffanator

Tiffanator Z1000 Chicky

I repainted a set of race fairings a few months ago that had numerous coats of rattle can on them. I used a combination of acetone and a razor blade to scrape off the bulk, then sanded what was left. The acetone makes the paint soft so it scrapes right off with the blade leaving a light coating that sanded away quickly.

3. gsxr-bmxr

gsxr-bmxr Active Member

thanks guys! i may try that tiff, much appreciated.