1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone make a living road racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by tjg412, May 18, 2010.

1. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

i think he's workin for speigler/ohlins.......a combo of some sorts. not sure. he's not racing tho.

2. skip salenius

as far as racers race.....to go fast as he does.....it takes a whole lotta money. i'm pretty sure he's not independently wealthy. he's been able to pay for it for years. now, w/ the way contingency is........i don't think it's possible. not sure tho.

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Thats the difference in club racing for fun and for a living. If your talent is going fast and thats how you put food on the table then its like every other job. When the checks stop you still have to eat.

4. skip salenius

thank you.

5. I understand and agree. I guess when you get to "his level", it isnt about fun anymore and it is about making a living. I guess he figures it is all or nothing.

Like i said, i cant speak for anybody else. I just know that if i couldnt race on the level i have been (as low as that level is :D), then i would figure somehing else out. Maybe a 250 or vintage, or go-carts or shopping carts at Walmart.

Im just saying that i hope it always stay fun. I enjoy racing for the racing and i cant imagine not doing it.

It is sad that a talent like him (and many others) is sitting at home.

6. :D

7. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that when you get into cash prizes, the IRS comes into play. I]m pretty sure the top companies are sending out 1099 forms along with their contingency checks.

Not sure if this comes under prize awards, or just straight compensation. Even if it's just the latter, you're talking 30-35%+ in taxes, depending on the state and other income.

8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I think you have to lookat the other side of the spectrum to..

At Baber, the vast majority of people had nice toyhaulers/motorhomes, nice bikes, and a new(ish) tow vehicles.

It may be nice to be the fastest guy at the show, but when you look at what it takes to get there and how hard it is, the grass has to be greener looking at it from their side. These slower guys have M-F jobs with benefits, cars, family's, nice homes, etc...

I think it's all in the perception.. I love racing as a hobby. It's what makes me forget about my 9-5, thus I could never get the dedication up to try it full time.

10. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

So it pretty much sounds like we ALL just have an expensive hobby these days. Hopefully things will eventually turn around and the fast guys can run for some good money once again. I know it makes a big difference and makes watching the races much more exciting.

11. Yep, i will be glad when things come around.

I was looking at a pic in RRW from an old race at Tally and Cory West, Taylor Knapp, Tray Batey, Robert Jensen and Lee Acree were all within 2 bike lengths and leaning on each other in T1.

Thats the good shit.

12. CALI*MADE

CALI*MADE Love Life

Pretty sure J Wood holds it down by just winning races. Indoor and outdoor flat track, AFM, WERA West, and Masters of the Mountain.

13. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

+1 Chaotic...

I doubt I'll ever win a contingency :Poke:

14. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Don't a few of these top 'club' racers supplement their income with tutoring at some of the higher end race / riding schools? I'm thinking of the Freddie Spencer and Yamaha type establishments. Pretty tough way to make a living regardless - esp when injuries are a constant threat.

15. me b racin

me b racin Thermosman is my Hero

So do you consider yourself a racer??? What qualifies someone as a racer, is it the amount of time you have spent participating in racing events. Is one year enough to consider someone a racer or is it 5, 10 or even 15 years. It could be the number of races you race in the weekend 1 race doesn't sound like alot but what if it's a 5 hour endurance race. It could be the 7-12 races one could do in a weekend. Nah, maybe it's the five motorcycles that need maintaince all the time. Nope, I don't think that's it either.....let's not forget to factor in the 7-9 thousand dollars that are spent on entry fee's throughout the year to chase the manfacture money. You know I might not be approaching this the right way, let's not forget the $28,000 fuel bill to drive around the country, that is a great number to use. It could be however the $60,000 dollars in debt one is when they started chasing contingency. I like that one. I think I'll go drive around the country and spend all this money so I can go back into debt because I'm a racer and well, i gotta race.

Apparently you cannot fathom the amount of time, preperation, dedication, organization, and lets not forget money it takes to prepare and follow through on making a living racing motorcycles.

I am and forever will be more of a "racer" than most people will ever be.

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

.. ahh.. The credit card debt, paying of the prior seasons. I remember having this conversation with Jensen back in like 03-04?, i had bought my first real good race bike from him, and was enamored with the contingency money that would come from some race weekends (not that i had delusions of going fast enough to make a living..but..).

He quickly put it in perspective when he told me about some debts that had built up over the past few seasons prior to winning lots of mfg. contingency cash (as in this money was going to pay for prior seasons racing..). As well, the huge annual over the road costs associated with traveling to nationals he pointed out in the above post, and God forbid you wad a bike or get hurt.. I was quickly not so enamored with the life of a REAL professional racer. He did/does it better than most, and hopfully we can all see him back out there soon as well as others that are fast enough to do it full time!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I wonder if now he regrets not taking a ride?

18. Do you ever just race for the fun of it?

You are right, i cant fathom the amount it takes to go all over the country trying to do it for a living. Well, if i sat and thought about it long enough i could probably come up with a rough guesstimate. But i see your point.

Seems like you got a good gig this year with Ohlins/Speigler and i cant blame anybody for putting food on the table.

I was mostly wondering it if is an all or nothing thing?

I mean, will you not race again until you can make a living at it or will you ever just go back to strictly club racing, maybe on 1 bike in 1 region solely for fun?

If you wont do it just for fun, when do you think that aspect of it left?

I am in no place to question the career decisions of others, im just curious.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  19. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Racers race.

Nobody who has raced, or races now, should criticize anybody else's decision to race or not race or continue to race or not continue to race. A lot is at stake when you roll out onto the track. It is up to each person.

Having said that, I think Rob Jensen has done enough to be considered a racer for life, even if he never turns a wheel on the track again.

Much respect.

20. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Pure, crystalline truth...