Master grillers

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, May 1, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Who uses Charcoal grills? Any advantages? A Weber kettle still the grill to get?

Been using gas forever and wanted to try a charcoal for a bit of a change but if it's not worth the effort, I'll save the $90 and spend it on heroin instead.

2. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

I'm a gas man myself, but prefer the taste of charcoal.. just not worth the pain and mess in my opinion.

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Had gas for a few years, quick efficient, not the same. Weber's are still good, though I picked up a chargriller with side box on sale last year. Best of both worlds, I can grill or smoke now. It's more work, I'm using mesquite charcoal most of the time and I prefer it over gas even if it is more work.
    The wife picked up a leg of lamb yesterday, who's got grilling or smoking tips?

4. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Dave, You need the Weber Performer. It has a gas adapter to save time on heating up the coals. Charcoal always tastes better.

http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrillreviews/gr/aapr010206c.htm

5. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Gas is more convenient, but charcoal is always better....even better is charcoal with some applewood, hickory or mesquite thrown in for extra flavor. You'de be amazed what a difference a little wood makes. (that's what she said...);)

6. Size9

Size9 Well-Known Member

3 words. Big Green Egg. That is all.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:up:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Went and bought a Weber kettle to give it a try. $80 and if I don't like it, I can blow it up. That'll I'll enjoy.

9. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

ok. Go back to the store and spend a few dollars on a charcoal chimney. Its easy enough to start with newspaper, and gets the coals ready faster

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Or use a coffee can with can opener holes around top and bottom sides.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I want the taste of wood I use wood, not a fan of the taste of charcoal, I'd rather taste the meat so I use gas.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Me too. Gas for day-to-day (I grill probably 4-5 days a week, even in Wisconsin winters) but charcoal is for the weekends and parties. It's a total PITA compared to gas, but for me, the flavor is sooo much better. I recently made a mess of chicken legs over charcoal, and they were awesome. I won't even eat 'em done over gas.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

werd. :up:

And when you consider over, say, a 20 year period how many of the cheap gas grills you go thru, its actually pretty cost effective, but the up front cost of $700 (for the small egg) is a total bitch. But i have to admit, the taste of food thats been cooked on the Green Egg taste better than ANY grill on the market.

14. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I love my Brinkman SmokeKing. Smoker & grill all in one.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Charcoal only. Find no taste advantage to gas, might as well be stove top.

I use the Barbecook, it's a charcoal chiney with a grill on top, you start it with newspaper.

[​IMG]

16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I use both and have a chargriller with an offset smoker it works great for grilling and smoking. I usually use royal oak charcoal and have side burner attachment for the chargriller that does a great job of lighting the chimney.

17. photoDude

photoDude Well-Known Member

I just bought a Char-broil Quantum. It has the Infared burners and cooks great. the thing I like about it is that you can place the wood chips right on the grill. They dont flare up either, just nice smoke.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Holy $#!+, Batman!

Those things are 700 bucks?!? I've seen a few around in various clients' yards... some of my more well-heeled clients, apparently.

I'm going to have to bid higher when I see those things from now on. :up:

Oh, and charcoal all the way, here.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  19. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

If I'm just making something super quick, yeah, I light up the gas.

But for the real deal, either Lazzari mesquite wood OR I like to cook with oak. Oak takes a bit to get going, but like I said, for the real deal and I've got a nice lazy day of cooking and drinking then it's on. :up

mmm.....I'm starting to think of tri-tip and steak now...dammit....I just got home from the store too. :p Ok, where'd I put the keys....

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

When I build my outdoor kitchen I'm going to get a Viking infrared.

I'm still about 10K short.:crackup: