How many races/practice sessions are you getting per set. (Conti)

Discussion in 'General' started by royalgixxer, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

We ran the Continentals at Nashville for approximately 35 laps at a 1:05 pace and they held up very well. Left side looked no worse than the right. Lap times at the 35 lap mark were consistant with the first lap.:up::up: Tdub

2. get a little bike. 315$ a set (dot for sv650). These conti guys are popping up everywhere. Really nice guys at trackday on Monday. Helped out with lots of people tire questions... including non conti tires.

3. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

From what we have learned so far (nearly 20 sets), the softs are gripping really well but the track surface temps are still too cold to get the carcass up to proper temps. The surface superheats but the carcass is not getting hot enough so you will get some tear. Having said that, I have witnessed the same issue with a number of other brands softs during this time of the season. Its counter intuitive I know but the soft compounds need higher track temps so that more heat is generated deep into the carcass.

Fast guys with deeper pockets can throw on the softs and go like a bat out of hell for a couple of practices and sprints but it will be time for a change after that. Grip = money.

The rank and file racer / trackday enthusiast is going to be better served with a med / med setup at least for the next month or two until it gets hotter out there. Our mediums are holding up really well with no tear and excellent grip.

Liter bike riders can still get away with the med / med setup as I have it on my ZX10R but I am not the fastest guy in the shed. The other option is to go med front / endurance rear on the liters and continue to surprise yourself wih how much tire you have left at the end of the day.

Mark D with Superbike Tires has a rear on his stand that is an endurance and it has 10 trackdays on it with a wide range of riders having ridden the bike (his own ZX10R). He could easily sell it as a 1-day takeoff.

When you say wear, its good to know for all us Conti guys if you mean the tire is worn to the markers, cold tearing or just going off.

:beer:

4. burniep

burniep Well-Known Member

What pressures are you guys running on the DOT 120/180? Also have they changed the design in the last couple of year? Reason i ask is i picked up a set at Summit Point this past week and noticed they had build dates of 2007 and 2008 on them. Are these an old style or still the same tire?

Thanks,

5. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Hey Paul,

We are running 29 front and 27 rear but thats our tracks with our temps. Thats a hot temp BTW right off the track. Tire pressures are going to vary from track to track and temp to temp depending on your riders requests but thats a good ballpark. Factory recommends 30, 28 but we want to get more heat into them.

No, they are the same tire. We ran through a bunch of 2007 dated tires. No worries at all as they store them in a climate controlled environment and have a minumum shelf life of 5 years in those conditions. Probably a little too aggressive forecasting in 2007-2008?....:D

We are seeing all current date codes now as they are burning off stocked inventory but don't be alarmed at all if you see a 2007 come off the truck. They are every bit as good as a 2010.

Cheers
    Bernie

6. burniep

burniep Well-Known Member

thanks for the info.

7. grd264

grd264 Well-Known Member

Any one know the OD for the 120 & 190 combo in DOT and the Slicks?

8. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Good question?

I'll look for an answer for you in case no one in the know chimes in first!

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

We measured the tires we used last weekend, but my notes are at the shop. Will have them tomorrow if no answers first. tdub

10. grd264

grd264 Well-Known Member

Tdub.. can you help me out with this..have talked with two Conti guys and got no help at all!!!!!

11. royalgixxer

royalgixxer The Bodywork Guy

I was there with TDub during the test they did on the Conti's, He will get you fixed up, great guy.

12. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

The OD of the tires mounted and at pressure was front 1882mm and the rear was 2055mm @ 27/24 cold. Hope that helps. Tdub

13. grd264

grd264 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Tdub.... I now have measurements for the slicks as well..

120 x 70 Race Attack = 599.0
    190 x 55 Race Attack = 654.1

120 x 70 Slick = 600.3
    190 x 55 Slick = 654.8
    All measurments are tire diameter (height).

14. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Hopeless Never-was.

Tdub, was 2055mm for the 190/55 slick?

grd264, any idea on the height of the 180?