So called engine builders suing machine shops?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by WERA872, Sep 16, 2009.

1. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

my guess is the '07 rings are thinner.

3. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I have a set on my desk will check them tomorrow. There are two parts numbers for pistons and two for rings for some gen two.

4. fastfreddie

no hurry...this thread's over six months old. :D

5. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i don't know if they're thinner, but on the 07 rings, the 1st ring has a step in it along the outside edge. if you look in the ring groove in the piston there is a corresponding step. the oil ring is also different. it has a lip on the inside, so that the scraper rings sort of sit "in" the expander ring, as opposed to on top and below. i've seen aftermarket oil rings that are like this. i didn't see anything different about the 2nd ring, but i didn't measure it.

6. fastfreddie

well it certainly sounds like those wouldn't work in a standard ring land.
    also sounds like it would be noticeable to a builder trying to install 'em.
    builder had no conscience.

7. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i think installing an 03 ring in an 07 would be an easy mistake to make (if you weren't familiar with SVs). to install an 07 ring in an 03, you'd really need to be asleep. you'd see the lip in the top ring immediately when you're looking at the ring to see which side is up. if i remember correctly, there's no lettering on the top ring.

8. fastfreddie

i know nothing of svs but i did watch the op do a sv motor swap between races.
    he was stayin' at a holiday inn. ;)

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

cool cuz the rings are still sitting there :)

10. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

damn brought back memorys of getting my hand crushed by one of those bastards. Sure dont miss reaking of oil every night when i got off though

11. WERA_864

WERA_864 Well-Known Member

You used motor oil to masturbate back then? :confused: