1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative's to Dunlop DOT's for 5.5 inch wheel

Discussion in 'General' started by Abiagi, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

Just purchased a GSXR 750 that was already set up with Dunlop 211 GP-A 190/55's. Are there any alternative track day tires maybe non-DOT to the Dunlops that will work on the 5.5" wheel?

From anyone's experience are tire warmers necessary with DOT's, or do they heat up pretty well on their own?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can go with a 180... but the 190 works fine on a 5.5 rim.
    You can get away without using warmers on any tires... just a matter of how much
    track time you have to burn and remember to be ginger on the throttle.

3. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

So any 190/55 be it from Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc shouldn't be a problem?

I suppose since you say warmers aren't necessary, then sticking with the Dunlops wouldn't be a problem. But being able to run other non-DOT race tires in the same size wouldn't b so bad either.

4. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

When you say non-DOT? You mean slicks?

ALL make DOT race tires, and tire warmers are not needed but are a very smart idea.

5. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

the 200/55 Dunlop is a good alternative.

6. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

Not talking slicks, just DOT race tires, but now your comment about the warmers makes me reconsider running the race tires.

So I ask, Is there a "track day" 190/55 that can safely be run on a 5.5?

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Just run a 180 tire and stop worrying. The commercial Michelin Power Ones are great, as are Therapy regular, plain ol' Pilot Powers.

8. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

dunlop 190/55 is specifically designed for a 5.5....no worries.

9. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

Dunlop Qualifiers in a 190

10. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

OK, so Qualifiers should work, good info.

Anyone know if any other Brands are ok? Or is it safe to say that any 190/55 should be ok on a 5.5 wheel?

11. Allthatflash

Allthatflash Well-Known Member

Every race team in AMA that runs supersport or DSB all use a 190-55 series tire on 5.5 rims. So I think any brand of 190 tire would be fine on your 5.5 rim