1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You know what's a bunch of crapola?

Discussion in 'General' started by CorollaDude, Mar 15, 2010.

1. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

2. melanie

melanie not a dude

I wonder if there was an undercurrent of money being made from ignorance!

Either way, I still don't like the idea of a mercury hazard in my home.

3. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

there is more mercury in fish than the cfl's.

4. melanie

melanie not a dude

Depends on the fish. We try to stick to the ones with lower levels when possible; we have young kids in the house who don't need any extra buildup.

You can't talk me into liking the bulbs no matter the argument. Having to drop them at a waste facility is annoying enough to turn me off, and I have no desire to dispose of them in my trash can.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The ones we put in the bathrooms and living room room ceiling lights have lasted "ok", usually lose 1 per year. The floods I really looked forward to using in place of the 6-65w floods in the kitchen have been a waste of money, as they don't last more than a few months. In the 10 years we have lived in our house I have only had to replace 2 regular floods, in 6 months 5 CFL floods went.

My opinion? These things are not quite ready for prime time. The lights are going to be turned off and on, and the bulbs should be able to handle that. I'm not leaving ~100w worth of CFLs on just because they can't handle being turned off.

I won't buy any more CFLs until I am forced, and then only if I can't smuggle regular bulbs from Taiwan or somewhere.

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I believe that HomeDepot will recycle them for you so there is less hassle already that I have alleviated from your life. :D

7. dasnd12

dasnd12 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. I kept going through the floods like crazy. Then i wondered if maybe it wasnt the bulbs but possibly the swtich. My house was built in the 80's so it had the old brown switch still. Changed the switch havent blown one again...its been almost 2 years now. I'm not saying its def. that...but it convinced me...

8. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I'm just going to get me, the dog, and the wife a set of NVG's and call it a day...Besides, the dog in night vision goggles just cracks me up, and when was the last time a light bulb made ya laugh...

9. melanie

melanie not a dude

:p

Maybe I'll give 'em a shot when they have the bugs worked out that all these other hokeys are complaining about.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  10. As DirecTv techs we've had some weird problems related to these stupid lights.

Taken from this LINK:

Infrared signals
    Electronic devices operated by infrared remote control can interpret the infrared light emitted by CFLs as a signal, this limits the use of CFLs near televisions, radios, remote controls, or mobile phones.

CFL's will shorten your life.

That is all.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've never had any problem with a cfl in the trouble light in the garage. I love it for that application though. Regular bulbs get really hot, so you can melt carpet and stuff when you set it down on the floor of your car. CFL stays nice and cool, so I don't have to worry about where I put it. :rock:

12. GIGOLO

GIGOLO Well-Known Member

My dad is obsessed with those bulbs, he has them through the entire house. When I go over for dinner he turns the lights on in the living room about 10 min. before we go in there to warm them up.