1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR400 - piston/cylinder sleave question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by evakat, Mar 10, 2010.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I am trying to "refurbish" a 460 engine I have...
    FYI: 460 engine are FZR600 pistons (1mm over) & sleaves run in a FZR400 cylinder...
    However, one of my sleaves is smashed. I have a complete/good FZR600 cylinder with good sleaves.
    My question is... Can I press the sleaves out of the 600 cylinder to be re-used in my 400 cylinder??? If yes, what removal proccess would you reccomend???

2. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Bump

Unfortunately, I don't know. But I have a tired 400 engine, and don't want to really swap it with a 600. Are you saying I can sleeve and put in 600 pistons - that's it? con rods everything are ok with that?

sorry, had to ask.

3. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Rhino, It is actually a lot less effort and money to do a 600 conversion.

And no, the 400 rods are not usable with 600 pistons, different wrist pin diameters.

4. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Yes, 600 motors are easy to come by. 600 radiator w/fan doesn't want to fit in available space, so that is something to consider if this is street bike or used in warm weather/traffic.

If you still want to go to trouble of swapping sleeves, you can put the 600 jugs in an oven at oh, 350 or 400 degrees upside down and the sleeves will fall out. Just remember to remove o-ring from bottom of sleeve.

Reverse process to put in 400 block. (assuming sleeve OD's are the same: I don't know...) Sleeve will need to be bored afterwards but sounds like you are taking it out to 2nd os anyway. Also will need to skim top of block since chances are the new sleeve won't be even with the other 3.

5. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

ooo fun!

Hey Joe,

The piston you will want is a old late 80's early 90's ZX6 piston and ring set. It is the correct 60MM dimater ( I think it was 60MM), and the correct wrist pin diameter.

Your 600 sleeves will be too long. 2 options: Press out the 600 sleeves, mill down the cyl block, then cut the sleeves down, and press back together,

OR, the more reliable solution:

Press out the 600 clylinders from teh 600 block, mill it down, and have new cyl sleeves made from scratch. I learned from Jason T, that the re-use of the cylinders normally leads to teh cylinder sleeve floating in the cyl block.

I dont believe it to cause "grenade", but I think it ends up blowing gaskets, goofing up cooling, compression, etc, etc.

I will dig to find receipts from my last set of cylinders, and or piston part numbers if you like.

Let me know.

Rich

6. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Motomeister13... Yea... I would love to see the slips you have... the more info I can source the more avenues I can review before figuring out which way to go...
    Right now I am thinking of re-using the 600 sleaves I have only because that is the most cost effective way right now...
    I still need source the pistons... So I am really interested in the Kaw piston info...