Gun accessories question

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by RCjohn, Mar 1, 2010.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

What's the delivery method? :crackup:

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok now you guys are scaring even me.

RC- on what occasions would you want to wear one of these things?

I ask only cuz I don't know too many ppl who like them, they kinda restrict your clothing (meaning you're stuck wearing a jacket) and they can be uncomfortable while being physically active (while bouncing & tossing someone out on there head).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Actually just kind of checking into it. Might not be very practicle but I was mainly talking about while working at the bar during the concerts stuff. It would suck to have to wear a jacket in there during the summer. I've just warn longer bulky shirts in the past.

My other cheaper canvas/nylon shoulder holster is used when I'm carring the pistol around in the woods because the belt holster seemed to get in the way more but that was before I had the Fobus when I was using a cheap holster.

The on thing that had me looking into it is a possible awards show where I will be dressed in a suit so I would be a good option for that.

I guess it would just provide another option.

4. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

How long is your barrel on dat gat?

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It's the compact with 4" barrel.

6. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

Like XFBO said, they're not the best for concealment. They're also not the most secure. For what you described I would look into a strong side belt holster or an inside concealment rig. You can hide them better and its much harder to get it from you should they notice you have it on.
    I gave up wearing them many years ago. The only practical way was basically in the winter time when heavy clothing was the norm.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Good deal. Thanks for the info.

The security of them was a concern of mine but I did notice that Blackhawk make a harness that allows the use of the Serpa holster which would at least help in the security department.

Though concealment is not required in TN it is still the best policy in my opinion. :up:

My instructors said that they are the slowest methods for draw also.

8. nycstripes

I would disagree. Shoulder rigs offer the fastest accessibility but it comes with the cost of being the least secure.
    Ankle holster is the worst thing ever invented IMHO. Don't even consider it.

9. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Where do you put your BUG on duty?

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Interesting. Your opinion matches what my common sense had told me abouth the shoulder holster before but I didn't have enough experience with either to really know so I was going with their thoughst. Those fuggers. :D

What's a good means of storing the backup weapon?

11. nycstripes

Which is the primary and which is the backup? If the backup weapon is small enough, I would secure it with an inside holster. The primary would be on a strong side pancake holster. Invest in a good quality gun belt too.
    Also, are you wearing body armor? If so, then maybe consider the backup weapon being secured to the outside of your vest, its what I do most often. Worked very well for me working in uniform and plainclothes. Same holster as this one, can be used in both methods of carry for a second piece.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  12. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

XDtalk

good forum. I have an XD40sc and have learned quite a bit there.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I've known some rather larger dudes who even clip them inside the trauma plate pouch but we're talking smaller guns. :D

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

What the hell. You need a gun?:Poke:

15. nycstripes

yes, but drawing a pistol from there isn't exactly practical or very smooth to do if need be..strapped to the outside of my vest in an inside the pants holster secured by the velcro straps is secure. Worst case scenario, I am out a few shirt buttons in the summer time.
    When its secured under my armpit, I can also protect it in a fight.

16. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

The serious guys get in line with Andy Aratoonian and wait the three to four months it takes to get one of his holsters. Then they care for it like it is one of their children.

His HAK design is a winner with lots of guys who carry daily, because it lets your pits breathe. The HAK is about as comfortable as you can get with 20 oz. of steel stuffed under your arm.

http://www.holsters.org/shoulder-holster.htm

I had a Galco Miami Classic, which looked bad as hell in the mirror, but was pretty uncomfortable on warm days. I sold the holster with the USP that fit in it, and don't miss either one very much.

An Aratoonian SOB2 is an excellent choice for anybody who doesn't have a jacket on all the time and who isn't needing the weapon on their person while driving.

17. robfromc

robfromc nice member

While that is a nice work of leather it seems the break defeats the carry of the 1911 in condition 1, which in my opinion is the only way to carry.

18. andor

andor Well-Known Member

Raven Concealment Phantom. The only holster you'll ever need. I get a RC before I even get the gun to go in it if i know for sure what i'm looking for. A lot of the good leather guys have a 4-12 month wait (but it's for good reason, they are super nice if you can handle the eait)

19. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

It's to bad people have lawyers, or Andy would offer it with a break suitable for C1. Says so right in his website.

The debate about carry condition will rage until the end of time. I'll just say this:

20. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member