1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

goin to san diego... where should i eat?

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Tin Fish... I think I ate my weight in their fish tacos when I was there in the summer.

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

my girlfriend and i go to Karl Strauss all the time. brewery and restaurant. excellent beer and steaks too.

three locations, north county, central (sorrento valley) and mission valley.

all the other suggestions have been great. H8R knows his stuff. Yogis packs out on the weekends though, so if you are looking for the "meet market" vibe, ie slutty chicks that will go home with you... have fun :D

for fine dining you should hit "Island Prime" on the bay. excellent food, and insane view/location. entire san diego skyline lit up at night. Donovan's steak & chop in la jolla is rated in the top ten steak houses in america, according to playboy. ;)

3. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Ask Andy (Smokes35). He was just down there. Oh, by the way...hookers and blow. Write them both off as a company expense.

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

No hookers and blow this time around.... wife is comin too. If one of you left coasters has a "card" feel free to let me know though.

:rock:

5. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

6. +1 turf supper club near downtown!

Cook your own meets. Piano playing lounge act. co0lass people.

7. CALI*MADE

CALI*MADE Love Life

Check out La Puerta on 4th and Market in the Gas Lamp. My Fiance is the manager. They won a ton of awards for best happy hour and best mexican food. Cool atmosphere, top shelf tequila, excellent food!!!

http://www.taco619.com/

8. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Have you ever been to "El Camino" in little Italy? It seems like since I moved away from SD all my friends go there.

9. CALI*MADE

CALI*MADE Love Life

I haven't, I get pretty hooked up at La Puerta with my lady being the boss and all. And I really do love their food, it is all recipes from the family that owns the restaurant and operates the kitchen.

10. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Understood....It seems like they go there late night for drinks. Even though I go back to Encinitas once a month....getting downtown isn't high on my list.

11. 2SickRacing

2SickRacing Well-Known Member

Go jump off sunset cliffs in pb

12. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

For Downtown/Gaslamp:

+1 on Oceanaire if your looking for seafood. Also, Blue Water on India near GP Motorcycles was featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and has great seafood and is moderately priced.

Try Taka Sushi if you're looking for an upscale sushi place.

If you're looking for a good hole-in-the-wall mexican joint then try La Posta or Lucha Libre in Hillcrest/Mission Hills.

What kind of food do you like?

There's tons of stuff to do in SD. You looking for touristy (ie San Diego Zoo, Sea World) or sightseeing (Coronado, La Jolla Cove, Palomar Mtn, etc.) or what?

If you have some time and are looking for a great beer trip then I would def take a trip up to Stone Brewery.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

+10000 Love that place....

14. snailspace

snailspace Well-Known Member

For fast food... In'n'out burger.
    They have a secret menu, get a 4x4. it is not on the menu, just ask for it. :up:

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

If your wife likes chocolate try this place, http://trufflemaker.com/
    She used to be in stockton but moved to SD. I still have her send truffles for my wife a couple times a year. Her favorites are the champagne truffles. She also makes her own marshmellow. If you've never tried it fresh made dipped in dark chocolate your missing out. :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  16. 750 dan

750 dan Well-Known Member

Thats funny. I'm going to be in Columbus, Ohio next week. Know any good places to eat there?

Take the Ferry from downtown to Coronado there are 2 restaurants at the end of the pier Lil Piggys (BBQ) and Village Pizzeria (name says it all)

17. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

If you have time drive up the coast to LaJolla, walk around a bit, see some surfers at Swami's, then onto Torrey Pines, great place to hike and the beach is cool, stop for dinner as the sun sets over the ocean at Las Olas on the north side of the beach, great little mexican place.

An afternoon spent up there has been wife endorsed for me in the past...

18. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Roberto's for the carne asada burritos....
    :beer:

19. swederacer

swederacer Well-Known Member

Few fine dining places I enjoy.

Roy's (Hawaiian Fusion Restaurant in the Marriott Marina) very nice fine dining, Peohe's (Seafood and Steaks on the water in Coronado), Sushi on the Rock in La Jolla (Fusion sushi place), Island Prime (steak house on the water close to the airport), Mister A's (top of building in Balboa Park area) nice view, great food. If you make it up to Del Mar, Pacifico or any other of the restaurants in the Del Mar Plaza are great.

Enjoy!

20. swederacer

swederacer Well-Known Member

...aka Regretto's!