1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

info on ridin in Albaquerque

Discussion in 'General' started by The Smasher, Jan 31, 2010.

1. The Smasher

The Smasher I like boobies

Well, just like the title says, Im lookin to see how the riding is in the west. Ill be there soon and Im just curious to see what Im in store for. Any input would be great. How are the roads, bike nights, clubs, tracks (strip and road course), whats the style like? Chime in with stories about the cops, or any other things I might wanna know about the area.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

No idea about riding out west, but here's "a story about the cops" - people on this board don't like dumbassed squid shit on the street, stories about how you pulled a highchair down the Interstate while running from the police, etc.

This is a race board, not icyhotstunnas.com

Fair warning.

3. MV

MV Well-Known Member

:crackup: This could get ugly quick.

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused by "what's the style like" :)

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Mind the left turn....

6. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

Not sure of the street stuff up at that end of the state, but there are four or five drag strips in the state, one near Albq.

SMRI races at Sandia Motor Speedway, which is 30 miles West of Albq. At the southern end of the state, my track is more technical and safer and runs the ASMA series at Arroyo Seco, as well as drag racing.

7. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

:stupid:

8. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Listen to this man.

9. The Smasher

Thanks for the good info. Ive got a bike for both tracks. Not a pro by any means, but I like to race. Hope to see you out there some time.

10. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I live in ABQ. Started track riding here little over a year ago. Even though it's a 4.5 hour drive I consider Arroyo Seco my home track. Roger is giant help to everyone and Arroyo is a very safe track, no barriers. I've riden Sandia once. It's pretty small and has a lot of seams to deal with. I really didn't like the concrete barrier that you point at when you nail it coming out of the last turn on to the straight. I'll ride there again but it's not my focus, even though it's 45 minutes away. You might consider High Plains Raceway, 60 miles east of Denver. I'm planning three trips up there this year. A couple of the racers from Arroyo went there last year and they were suitably impressed. Said it's something like Laguna. They said something about a 170 MPH turn. That's going to be a new experience for me.

As far as the street riding around ABQ, it's dangerous. I don't ride around town except to commute on the freeway on my FJR. The cops are pretty tough. I've lived and ridden in Alaska, Washington and California. The cops here are more nasty than anything I've seen before. But then I don't hang out in bars. I know some folks that have lived here all their lives and they each have >4 DUI's a piece. Not a good party town.

But there are some nice rides. Up the back of Sandia is good. Hell of a view from the top. Then there's Madras, the place they filmed Wild Hogs. Fun place for breakfast or lunch. There's also the Pecos and Jemez mountains for nice rides.

I have a really good time here. But I am primarily a track rider. You can ride on track every month of the year here. When it snows the streets clear fast and you can ride after noon.

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Doug

11. F27Corsair

F27Corsair Well-Known Member

I lived in ABQ for 3 years. There were 3 major rides that I always enjoyed. The ride up to Sandia Peak was always phenomenal, but your bike was really down on power when you would get to the top (11k ft). The Tijeras Mtn run (Hwy 337) is fun as well. For a longer run (2-4 hrs) Jemez Springs is a great run (Up I-25 to Hwy 44, back to 84 to get back to I25 north of santa fe).
    The Sandia track is nice because its local but it is rather dangerous and small. I never had problems with the seams- I just dealt with them. But I know many guys that had difficulties getting around them.

12. sweetr6

sweetr6 Firefighter Extrordinare

Go to Arroyo Seco, it's SICK!!! Track is awesome and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

13. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

+1 on everything Travis said. I was stationed there from 00-05 and raced with SMRI for a short stint. Sandia is dangerous and was but it's not bad for a local track. We would also race at Arroyo and also in AZ, and another track that I think is closed called La Junta in CO. As for road riding the weekends are great for riding the back side of Sandia mtns and the Jemez mtns.

14. duggram

Coarsair and Bigcat are right. Sanidia is ok if you have a little bike, ie 450. But I ride a 1125 and I get wheel spin so easy on the greasy tar they use for sealing the seams. Don't worry you'll be ok, just stay off the throttle.

15. duggram

Hey BigCat, I just noticed you're from Alaska. I spent most of my life in Chickaloon, 80 miles east of Anchorage. Started traveling to ABQ for contract work about 2 years ago. Met a nice doc and got married. Now I'm selling my place in Alaska this spring. Life is good, but then I am 60. My current home has an atrium that is the same size as the cabin I lived in for 20+ years, with no running water and wood heat. Next time you're this way let me know we'll hit a nice New Mexican restuarant.

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Where are you measuring from? The I-40 exit you take to get to Sandia is 10 miles from the intersection with I-25, which is about the center of the metro area, and only 5 miles from Unser Blvd., which could be considered the western edge of ABQ. Sandia is only 3-4 miles west of the exit, so at most it is 10 miles from ABQ.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Although I had fun at Sandia this summer, I agree with the previous posters about its condition. I practiced on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and raced on Saturday and Sunday, and I didn't have a clue about how to get around and avoid the holes until Sunday morning after watching one of the locals, who was turning easy sub-1:00 times on an SV650.

17. The Smasher

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info. I cant wait to get there and unload the bikes. Expect to see me at some of these events and on those trails.

18. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Hey, I am another Alaska who has raced Sandia! Man, I didn't have gearing short enough, and I agree the place is dangerous, especially the last turn, but hey, sometimes you do it. It is what is there and if it were in Anchorage I would probably ride it every week. It is a short half paved oval with a little bit of road that kinks outside.