FZR400 guys, help please.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by madriders86, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Dont sell, RACE the RD,They are Cheap, Fast, Fun and most of all, RELIABLE.

Get lots of useful track time on it, then go race expensive when your fast.

2. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

I'd have to get it running right first. It will probably be sold though when I do. I want to stick to what I know (the ex250) if I'm gonna start racing.

It's a 400 engine rubbermounted in a 350 frame if you're interested. DG pipes, clipons, some kinda home made racer tail section in place of the stock seat :D
    Also have the stock parts to put it back in original form. I believe 5150 from usa2strokers.com put the bike together.

3. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Where abouts are you located?

4. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Stick with what you know and dont fix the RD, sell as is, I may be interested. Where are you located?

5. madriders86

Hahahaha! I am located in central NC, about 40 minutes south of raleigh if you know it.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The 090's were replaced this year by the 003 R/S's. The only 090 left in production is the 18" rear.

7. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Wow, are FZR400's still turning laps in anger?!? Are all of these still from the only 2 years they were imported into the US ('88-'89)?

I had an unraced/untracked '89 that my wife bought in '94 because it matched my '87 FZR1000. Then she had a low speed get-off with no gear, got some road rash, and got scared out of bikes altogether. I, however, fell in love with that little 400 and kept it around until '98. Hated selling it then, and have regretted it every day since. :( I didn't get into track riding until '08 (wasted 20 years of sport riding youth), and now I REALLY regret selling it. Man, I wish I could have that bike back!

8. John E

John E Member

FZR400

I raced an FZR400 about years ago and the bike came back to me this fall, and I'm prepping it again to race alongside my other bike. Certain parts are hard to find. In particular, pistons seem to be gone unless you have them made custom and I'm not sure how easy that would be - a few years ago I ordered 1mm over OEMs no problem. Maintenance items - rings, bearings, clutch plates, fork seals, etc. etc. - all seem to be ok. Stuff does seem to come up on ebay quite a bit as well, although it is 20 years old and some of it is junk.

I'm re-doing my FZR400 because they really are great bikes. I'm not too fussed about parts availability partly because this isn't my main bike, but if you decide to race one get all the spares you can with it and be prepared to hunt around for parts from time to time - you are racing a 20 year old bike. If you break something - say, in the transmission - you'll never really know if the part is available until you actually go look for it. I broke a transmission in an '06 R6, and what might be a short backorder on a 2006 R6 that puts you out a few weeks, may really put you out pretty good on an FZR400 while you hunt for NOS or a good used part. If you pick up a parts bike/parts motor, so much the better. People on this board are very helpful and knowledgable about these bikes which is great and I've found some good leads here.

9. rsilk

rsilk Well-Known Member

Up to now I have tried to always use matching tires front and rear since I figured the manufacturers know what they are doing. I was hoping to use the BT003RS (F&R) on the FZR400 (with 18" rear) this season, but since that is not an option, I would need to stick with BT014s or BT090s for a matching set.

What is the downside, if any, of using the BT003RS/BT090 (or BT003RS/BT014) combination for track days (intermediate group)?

Or better still, convince Bridgestone to make the 3RS in the 150-18 size!

Robin

10. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Well, if guys here are using them (BT003/BT090) together they must work.

Similar compounds and shapes I would guess.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  11. stickboy274

The 003 R/S is supposed to go with that 090 rear. The only 090 still being made is the 18" rear. This set up is going to be a huge improvement over the 014's. This is what Bridgestone has for us to use together.

I'm the southeast Bridgestone guy.This is what they have told me.

12. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Point and shoot! It's what us fat guys do with vintage gsxr 1100's because they are not known for their great turning ability. Run them in a corner hard on the brakes, turn bike and grab a handfull of throttle to exit. Comparable to the block pass in MX. Also known as parking it in a corner, the rolling roadblock or the #1 complaint of V7MW racers who bump up to v7hw. Now you know the whole story. Stickboy back me up on this one. Stickboy uses a different technique known as the spider. Roll in to a corner nice and slow, lift elbows parallel to track and stick knees as far out as possible. Highly effective in SV bowling races. Also known as the crab, the crane or velcro pounce position.

13. stickboy274

Yes, I have a patent on the move. Others are allowed to use it, but you must pay me royalties each time. Don't worry, the ROI on the move makes it well worth it. I can produce a spreadsheet from the new pimpware, software I just got that can show you before and after numbers for V7 racers just like yourself. I also have video testamonials to back up up my greatness

14. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Didn't they use a picture of this patented move for the poster on the last spiderman movie? I know you gots paid on that one YO! Back to the topic point, mad86 as long as you come out and have fun it doesn't matter what you run.

15. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA...A series of drag races punctuated by the occasional turn or 12...

16. stickboy274

That is correct. That's why us little 600 guys try to make sure we aren't on the outside of any turn. It doesn't really work out.

You should see when ol' knees and elbows here gets into a turn with the point and shooter. Hilarity ensues

17. madriders86

Thanks!