1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WW2 in HD on History

Discussion in 'General' started by divein6, Nov 17, 2009.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

interesting that you brought that up. If you look at how fast material was built (and the experience of the workers), you'd be amazed that anything worked at all. What was it, 6 months to build and launch an aircraft carrier? 48 hours to roll out a tank? Don't think there was much quality control at that rate.

2. Gmaniac

Gmaniac Well-Known Member

A friend of mine did all the maps and intro graphics for this series. I gotta catch up with the DVR.

3. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

my Dad went ashore at Leyte, and fought in Phillipines thru the liberation of Luzon.

he was a Strong swimmer(lifeguard), and spent the last few months prior to the A bomb drop teaching soldiers advanced swimming, in prep for invasion of Japan. He always said dropping the Bomb was the 'right thing'.

after VJ he was part of occupation forces- he Never wanted to talk much about his time in combat, but had some fun stories about occupation.

he them came home and 'worked his ass off' to help build this country.

They were the Greatest Generation, they are dead or dying, slipping away quietly in this busy world. I miss my Dad....

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I cant stop watching the damn things. Amazing footage and a real human perspective of the war. Great stuff.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

its been on ALL day, nonstop back to back.

its a little much.

6. Gron4

Gron4 I'm in your house

We all know war is hell, but how many bloated bodies with maggots coming out of every orifice does a person need to see to get it? And if I'm gonna see that, well why can't I see the dead babies that parents tossed off the cliff? Those get blurred out....Seems as though the videographers were very much intent on show the dead as a "take that" sort of thing. They have ten minutes of good war footage and forty of dead bloated bodies. Not to enthralling. :cool:

7. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

thats why theres a channel up and down on your remotes

8. joec

joec brace yourself

guess its better than 10 hours of alaskan crabbing shows.

9pm took too long to get here.

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Many don't. Great series with the new found footage.

10. Gron4

Gron4 I'm in your house

I wanted to see all the great new footage....:tut:

11. Game

Game zip tie master

Fantastic series. It wasn't as good as i thought it was gonna be but the last episode was very well made.

I don't get how some of you actually want footage of the fighting. This was fucking 50+ years ago on top of that who the fuck is going to stand there and film while getting shot at. On top of that we all know how national tv is, they can't show someone getting blown up. Americans want boobs to be shown, and violence up the ass but when its something historical, something to teach you about the death and pain caused by war people bitch cuz they don't get to see boobs on day time tv.

12. AH406

AH406 Well-Known Member

Not hugely entertaining but a great history lesson. So sad to see the japanese civilians throwing themselves cliffs to avoid the american g.I.s. And some of the stats about 3 american soldiers dying per minute for the first 2 days of the guadal canal invasion til 5000 had died. Mindboggling.

13. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

You saw it a lot in Vietnam, but that was a different ballgame. Kind of hard to keep the press off of the front line when there is no front line.

I think most of those guys in WW2 where military film crew or contracted by the military. Easier to control vs. the free for all of Vietnam.

I know one of the guys in that show was jonesing to get on the front line with a camera. Don't remember seeing it happen, but again, I missed some of them.

14. shogun

shogun Well-Known Member

...it's was diff. from the conflict in Vietnam in that there was an official (Congressional) Declaration of War (41). EVERYTHING had to clear the military censors before it was published during WWII.

...and I hate to think that most people think that the majority of the footage they showed on the History Channel was actually 'new'

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Thought it was an awesome show, the color film really does help you get a new perspective of the war.

16. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

thing is a ww11 in color series has been around for awhile just not in the HD format