Grattan Raceway getting new surface?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Yep, Ryan Shader shortened his R6 by almost two feet doing that. He landed in the road. That was his last race weekend.

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

there have been a few bikes make it to Lesiter Rd. I remember back in the day Larry Denning even tried it. Him and the bike both decided to rest next to the tires

3. Eric Konigsberg

Eric Konigsberg Eagle Racing

the difference between a rider and a racer is a rider bitches about the track a racer just rides the track!!!!gratton is great!!!

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

So all the guys that bitches about Mid-O or Topeka are just riders?? Hey, I'm just saying

5. Toxic Racing2

Toxic Racing2 a.k.a. kamikazejane

My dreams have come true :D

6. Toxic Racing2

At least you get to piss standing up. I have to undress all the way before going into the stall to avoid having my leathers fall into the toilette. :moon:

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I thought I remembered this. It was only 2 years ago! :crackup:

8. Toxic Racing2

lol, and it was already full of sealer come spring time. Wonder how long the nice new stuff will last before it gets loaded down with sealer?

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yeah, that Mladin guy is just a rider. He's not a racer :rolleyes:.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The last "repave" wasn't pavement. It was a new process they were trying and it didn't work out. If it had they would have been able to do the entire track with what they spent on just the front straight thru 3.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You could see the last stuff coming up in the esses. Seemed like it was just wearing away. Glad they're committing to it though, as T2 should be silghtly better at the least.

12. CephasGT

CephasGT Track Day Dreamer

I wonder if they'd be so kind as to add some real curbing, too...

13. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

After some car races, the curbing will emerge.

:)

14. Jetbdude

Jetbdude Shake and bake

I LOVE Grattan!!!!!!! I drive 18 hours every year to ride it for 3 days. Can't wait to do it again next summer with the new pavement :up: Hopefully I'll bring my time down a little more!

15. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Why should you f'in care about the size of the stall if you have to wait in line? dont get it lol.

16. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

i'm stoked that T2 won't look like the streets of detroit anymore.

can't believe that grattan has the funds to do any repaving. good on them!

17. CephasGT

CephasGT Track Day Dreamer

Why can't you believe it? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be making pretty damn good money, with all the events run there...

18. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

It's more like it's hard to believe that Sam is spending the money :Poke:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha! They've been setting money aside for years for all of this work. Smart move for sure.

20. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Definitely.
    However, I think there's been a perception on the roadracing/trackday customer side that their needs and safety have been ignored, while it seemed that money and development was consistently being poured into the MX track next door, in order to maintain a facility that routinely hosted National level AMA MX events. When I first went to Grattan in '05, it was already in need of a repave, although apologists would say "there's just as much traction in those patches as there is anywhere else." To be fair, they were mostly right; although the cognitive dissonance created by the patchwork pavement was unsettling, even if there were plenty of reference points for braking and turn in as a result. (nevermind Monte's T1 marker that would move on it's own...) I never felt confident entering T2, with the kitty litter kicking up from my front tire onto my lower fairing and the thought that i'd tuck it with the slightest misstep. I never did, but I could never banish that sensation either. I also hope that they've ground some of the bumps & dips- I've seen some really nasty highsides entering the straight from T12, onto the straight form that dip/patch that was right in the racing line, not to mention some pretty bad wrecks in the bowl & entering the sweeper. I'm glad to see this happening; I think I might have to make a road trip this spring for the Team Chicago School since my certificate from them expired 3 years ago...