DOT Race Tire Shootout

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr. GoFast, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

The last pages nails it.

3. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Someone finally did RRW's job, I've been waiting for this article for a few years from them. Nicely done but I agree the 211s should have been in there.

BTW, does anyone run Michelin rears at 24 cold? I've always used 22 give or take half a lb.

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Willow Springs does weird things to tire pressure. :D

5. WERA_864

WERA_864 Well-Known Member

I get chatter on anything but Pirelli's so thats what I run.

Yeah I know, its the suspension, but its also a bitch to get rid of. Id rather just spend 50$ on the tire and not have the problem.

6. Dr. GoFast

re: the PSI's they list- they seem WAY off for the dunlops. i think they're typos. michelin could be wrong as well. i wouldn't pay attention to that part of the test. 21 cold for a dunlop front.... i don't think so.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. darkside879

darkside879 Well-Known Member

Great info!!! Thanks for the link!! :beer:

8. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

I was glad to see the Stones faired well.I ran them all year with good Am. results. 25 podiums to be exact.I thought they performed great on both my R1 and R6.The wear suprised me.There was a few weekends in July and August where I did 6 sprints on the 1000 usually running in the top 4 and even in the 6 race grip to me was still really good.I was able to run consistant 36's at VIR on both bikes and even hit some 35's on my 05 R1 with 24,000 and stock suspension.Definetly time for a newer bike with aftermarket suspension.Think I'll try them again next year in the expert class and see how they do as I get faster.Overall I was pleased with thier performance coming off Pirellli's.

9. paradium

paradium Blackheart Racing

computerized tires? are they clubman legal?

10. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

We all no the top 4 brands are the top for brands,and Avon suck.Did anyone else get anything out of it?:rolleyes:

11. bigbob65

bigbob65 Professional Novice

I like bridgestones, Everyone bitched at me for doing so. I tried the pirelli, and hated them, everyone thought I was nuts. N.U.T.Z

I like the lops to, But all things concidered, For payout, price, and durability, Bridgestone is the way to go.

12. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Were the GP-As changed mid year? Or are all the GPAs the same still?

13. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

So they gathered all the latest tires out there, except the D211s??? What a worthless test.

Although given that the 211s are way better than the GPAs, I guess you could easily infer how they stack up to the other brands.

14. Dr. GoFast

15. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

16. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

17. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

either way you look at it the test means nothing

some people are fast on some tires and not fast one others

some people prefer one tire over another for whatever reason

some people just think they need X tire to go fast when its really just them

all the big tire companies out there make a decent DOT tire, it all comes down to personal preference for your average rider/racer

18. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Don't cloud this thread with your reason and clear thinking. Go away.

:)

19. 418

418 Expert #59

I just think the 211's are the best tire out there by a long shot, so they didn't include it for that reason. ;)

20. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Brandon, thats pretty much what they said on the last page.