1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 years ago today

Discussion in 'General' started by 2Fer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Prayers and remembrance for all those who lost their lives, and also those who are still here that lost friends and family.

2. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

I was a senior in highschool. I was at my locker when my friend Pete had told me something happened, i went to a nearby resource room and listed to it with a few friends (no nearby TV) on ABC news with Peter Jennings. I don't think any of us spoke for about an hour. The parts that still gives me shivers are when the second plane hit, and it became clear it was no accident, and when the first tower collapsed. The radio went silent for a few seconds, seemed like forever, while Peter Jennings figured out what to say.

God Speed.

My thoughts go out to everyone who lost someone.

3. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

We spent 9/12 - 10/1 in the Pentagon. I still can't imagine what it must have been like in NYC.

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

In remembrance of those who lost their lives on 9-11.

You are still missed.

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What a very tough day, and as others have said, it's like it was yesterday.

Thoughts go out to the ones we lost and their loved ones, and I hope that we NEVER forget this day.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

In Memory of friends and loved ones in New York City 9-11-01. May The Good Lord keep and comfort you all.

7. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I was mopping the floor of a pet hospital when I was 17 listening to the whole thing on the radio well before anyone else had arrived being that we are on the west coast. Godspeed to those lost.

8. justariot66

justariot66 Well-Known Member

Put on tv and it was on ABC by chance, I saw a smoking hole in the building and was shocked. I was glued to the tv from then on. Watched the second plane hit and just couldnt believe what I was seeing.
    Never heard of Osama Bin Laden before then, I was blissfully ignorant.
    God bless the victims, their families, and America

Dave #66

9. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

One of my drivers called into the office and said customers were telling him a plane hit the trade center. Didn't think anything of it, thought it was a small cesna or something.

He called in shortly after said I better turn on the tv. Saw what was happening, recalled all my trucks since it looked like we might be under attack (fuel tanker trucks that might be targets or used as bombs) and tried desperately to call my parents who both worked in the towers.

I couldn't get a hold of them at all. No answers at their jobs and cell phones were just no singles. I was sure they got out but couldn't remember what floors they worked on. Hell i didn't even know which tower they worked in. Then the towers collap'sed and I thought for sure even if they got out they were killed with them falling.

Around 3pm I think it was I was getting ready to drive to Manhatten (no clue what I was gonna do, was just gonna go) but I got a call that they were on the jersey side. Everyone took a ferry to hoboken. They made it where so many didn't. But they were messed up from the experience. They divorced about a year later after being together 22 years. I think as a direct result of 9/11. Least they made it out where so many didn't

Was a terrible day that effected many lives.

10. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

A friend of mine from college had the same thing happen. He worked at the financial building next door to the towers. 9/11 happened and his wife divorced him the next day, IIRC. The mental scars that event put on the people that lived it can't be conceived.

11. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

I was on board an attack submarine, just pulling in the Straight of Jaun de Fuca in Washington after being at sea for a few months. We were supposed to pull into the shipyard that day. A buddy of mine was topside and on the cell phone with his mother and she told him about it.

I was in the engine room and Commander Seal announced what happened over the PA. We turned around and patrolled the coast for about a week.

We had downloaded about an hour and a half of news coverage from CNN before we dove again, it was playing in the mess decks. I always felt a little removed from the whole experience since it was a week later when we pulled into port again. By that time some of the shock and fear had worn off I guess.

12. redducman996

redducman996 must go faster

Its crazy how we all remember what we were doing that day. I was in court for a ticket and watch the whole thing unfold, next we were all released. court houses shutsw down and our tickets were dismissed. GODSPEED to all the fallen.

13. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

I'll never forget it, it's burned into my brain, the shear tragedy of it. Still can't believe that Drew and his sister and Mom were at Windows of the World, (top floor) only a few days before. The hair on my arms still goes up when I think about what could have happened, that did happen to so many innocent people.

14. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

I was working that morning. Never forget how clear the NYC skyline was that day, rode my TLR to the office and within hours, the dust from the first tower came flowing over the East River into Brooklyn. Up until that time we all thought the first tower was just an aircraft accident. When the second plane hit, we knew that we were suddenly at war again.
    I lost some good friends that morning for sure. I was there in 1993 and 2001. I spend nearly 7 months following 9-11 at Ground Zero and met some amazing people that put everything on hold to help us out and stayed with us through some of the most depressing things I have ever witnessed. Police/Fire/EMS/RedCross/ASPCA took care of the search dogs/ folks from all over who
    The saddest thing I have ever seen was the temporary site Lexington Avenue Armory where the members of families lost went to post pictures of their loved ones. It was non-stop sadness that went on for months. Just incredible.

Thanks to the folks serving in uniform...as always.

15. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I got home from work and turned the TV on just minutes after the first plane had hit. It was real hard going to bed so I could get some sleep before going back into work.

My brother was airborne coming back from the Czech Republic. His plane was grounded in Amsterdam.

A guy that grew up down the street from me had the day off or he would have been at least injured in The Pentagon. Another friend saw The Pentagon attack from his office.

Now you've got idiots like Charlie Sheen and Rosie O'Donell who think the government did it. Really sad.

16. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Just got back from a business meeting near Wall street yesterday. Despite the horrible weather, there were dozens of conspiracy nuts shouting all kinds of crap and handing out flyers and such. Kind of sad, cause there where also people leaving flowers near the work site for loved ones who were lost.

The strangest thing was a group of Amish girls (no rain jackets or umbrellas, just bonnets) standing there in the rain handing out CDs. They looked out of place as you could imagine. Don't know what to make of that one. Don't know if it was a 9-11 thing or just very bad timing.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The Amish use CDs?

18. caferace

caferace No.

Hand-crafted doilies in recycled landfill CD cases.

-jim