1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So long rolling starts!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

:stupid: :up:

2. BRKNtibia

BRKNtibia AMAfan Wannabe

Did AMAfan tell you that? :D

3. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

None of it sounded all that negative to me, other than the 450 thing. I've actually enjoyed the racing this season. A 450 in motoGT still doesn't make much sense, though. Will they have to plan for in-race oil changes to go along with refueling every 15 laps? Not to mention the speed difference with some of the other bikes.

4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

No...my old local tire guy and TV.

6. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

A couple of small bikes will get creamed, and another Mea Culpa is had? Having ridden the SLOWEST bike in WERA Endurance for the last 3 years, I know the dangers... but the 450 is just silly.

On another topic
    "AMA Pro is also investigating the potential of adding up to two additional single-brand series to complement the existing class structure"

Is that Buell and Buell?

7. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Sometimes "open-minded" isn't called for. Our collective negativity and the shout-down the M/C roadracing community has given roger edmundson is WHY they are UN-FUCKING the things THEY FUCKED UP to START WITH.

And r.e. can count on his BEAT DOWN continuing until they adopt the FIM World Superbike rules thereby making the AMA a place where the SPORTBIKE Motorcycle manufacturers (that matter) WANT to come and race. - VE

8. joedoe

joedoe Lurker

:stupid: Think about your top five complaints since DMG has taken over. In no particular order whatsoever, I would say mine are:
    1)rolling starts,
    2)the safety vehicle,
    3)the Buell in the 600 class,
    4)DMG's overall attitude with the riders/manufacturers and
    5)the shortfalls in safety over the year.

So now they are explicitly dealing with 1 and 2. Just that is a pretty good start and probably better than lots of people were expecting.

And the fact that they are doing so, can only be the result of the feedback they've received (from people like us) so that is a show that they have some concern of the product we want to see. Following in that vein, I sent out an e-mail to those folks thanking them for the changes I liked and pushing for the changes I still want. Namely that a true 600 Supersport class re-emerge and if they want to experiment mixing vastly different bikes, that they do so in a different class. I'm not completely opposed to a class where you try to mix different styles/sizes of motorcycles being equalized by something like a power/weight ratio, but I don't think it should have been at the expense of a proven, good class. As I mentioned in my e-mail, no matter what they do, we will always see DSB as the time they allowed 1200cc Buells in to the 600cc races as opposed to some new class where they've planned for those kinds of bikes to mix.

And personally, on the safety front, I think any rider safety panels going to new or current tracks next year will probably be handled differently after the fiasco of Topeka this year (not Topeka's fault; they seemed to be willing to work as hard as possible to correct things last minute). Just a scheduled follow-up trip will completely avoid that issue. Then we'll just have to wait and see how wet weather riding conditions play out in some key tracks for the other major safety concern.

If DMG does that and something about the 600 v. Buell conundrum (a long shot, I know), they will have addressed four of my top five concerns, while at the same time committing to put more money and advertising in to the sport. Then maybe this take-over will live up to some of the potential I think we were hoping for when the acquisition first happened (for all of 5 seconds, before things started sliding downhill).

Wow. That post got long. Summary: they announced two good changes and that increases hope slightly that we can push for the other changes we want. ...Oh, and who cares about the 450's?

9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I saw ad in papers that buell blast is gone, maybe new edition is 450cc :D

10. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

im with you ,get over it already ,shit changes .

its like the magical villian in the sky ,enough people say they hate it ,the bandwagon grows and people forget why they hated it in the first place

11. The difference in lap times is pretty big, but the danger is not in the difference in lap times. It is in the difference in speed at the end of the longest straight. At Daytona, I would think it would be around 50 mph.

Although, that is not too far off from the difference in speed between an SV650 and a GSXR 1000. Those bikes seem to co exist in the WERA National Endurance series without too many incidents.

Another issue will be the reliability of the 450s and how much maintenance they will need.

12. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Sounds like a bad idea to me. 450s that is.

13. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

John... why was the choice made to make custom bikes when there are a couple of OEM's who make great 650 twins (Kawi and Suzuki) that fit the bill for a spec class?

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The 450 idea sounds like someone wrote down their thoughts during a bad trip after huffin' paint.

Gotta give the DMGs a bit of props though, they are trying.

15. John29

Moot point, they abandoned that idea (a dedicatd 450 sprint class) already.

But to answer your question, I have no idea.

16. John29

Or got sold a bill of goods.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The oppritunity has been missed all the way around....MotoGP had the oppritunity to replace the 250's with 400's...which would have made sense sitting next to the 800cc GP bikes. The 600CC stuff is just too close on scope to the GP bikes.

400's in the GP's could have seen manufaturers start building some trick 400's again. Those could have been used as bikes for the class they keep trying to push for these 450 singles.

18. moke

moke Well-Known Member

Tell ya what they need to do is go back to 2stroke grand prix bikes for Motogp.

19. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

:crackhead:

Your 600 Supersport class exists. It's called...Supersport!

DSB is the evolution of the old FX rules with a little less modification allowed (e.g. forks and pistons).

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Uhhhhhhh.....no. You'll never own another street legal 2-stroke so why would any manufacturer throw money at them. They can't put that money under the "for product development" category and that would make it harder to justify spending that money.