1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on the Swine Flu...People with kids, etc.

Discussion in 'General' started by zracer196, Aug 25, 2009.

1. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

I like to read different opinions from people on this board. A great place to check out thoughts from others that enjoy sports like ours, etc. Not a bunch of worry warts!

I have two young kids...3 & 5. One just starting Kindergarten and the other in pre-k. Do you think there is more danger in taking the vaccines or from the flu itself? I don't want to get caught up in the hype of hurrying to get the shots but also do not want to sit back, wait and then have to deal with a problem if it happens. I also wonder if these drugs are created too quickly, not enough testing, etc.

Maybe just take any precautions out there (clean hands, etc.) and watch for any flu-like symptoms?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Dungeon bait

3. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Wash your hands for as long as it take to sing "happy birthday" to yourself and don't worry about it.

Be thankful it's not a "killer" strain. The Earth will strike back sooner or later with a flu that kills a few hundred million maybe even a billion. Too many peeps and not enough planet.

4. Quiks66

Quiks66 Billy the Kid

I work at a school which happens to be one of the better places to pick up colds/viruses. I keep hand sanitizer on hand and wash my hands fairly often. This morning on the news they were talking about estimating 30-60k people dying this year from the swine flu...but is it going to be all hyped up again with no real effects? Large quantities of the vaccine are supposed to be ready in 3 months or so, but who really knows...

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

More than 30K people die from seasonal flu every year. Every year it is a new mutated strain that people don't have a specific immunity from, but their bodies build it.
    The H1N1 is NO different. Just a different strain than a body is used to.
    My son is in first grade this year, and at the end of the school year last year, two kids in the school showed up with H1N1. Everyone's still alive. Like every other year, no shots are planned at my house.

6. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

The problem is little ones aren't that great for washing their hands often. Add to that kids are quick to put their fingers in their mouths and *kablammo* they get sick often.

I'm trying not to get too spun-up over the whole swine flue deal in general, but both of my kids will get flu shots this year - same as they did last year and the year before.
    No big deal there.

On the pandemic front, it almost seems like we're being conditioned for a coming plague. Much collective bed-wetting and hair-on-fire from the media on this one....

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

agree.

I was in Mexico just after the height of the swine flu scare. (booked our honeymoon 7 months in advance)

it's just something for the media to report and sensationalize. many people die from the flu every year. this mutation is "different," but try to find a straight answer on how.

Unless your kids have a history of getting every virus known to man, I'd like their immune systems work on their own. encourage hand-washing, and give them a multi-vitamin. The best thing you can do to protect children is keep them healthy and strong enough to survive swing flu; not freak out about them getting it...

8. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

:stupid:

For the kids, use Purell.

9. AZScorpion

AZScorpion Well-Known Member

I agree - hype. We too went down to Mexico during the height of the Swine Flu scare - and don't forget the Drug Cartels that were waiting for us :p Bottom line is no one knows what will happen - nor can anyone predict it.

Live your life, wash your hands and don't pick your nose!

Personally - I think the vaccinations are a self fulfilling prophecy: A decent number of people actually contract the flu every year from them and in turn infect many others. Hard to say if skipping the vaccine would have lessened the number of cases in any given year.

Personally I have to skip it. Allergy to Albumin - protein in the egg it's cultured in so if it boils down to vaccine or die - I'm screwed either way.

10. AZScorpion

AZScorpion Well-Known Member

Purell with Aloe!

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Purell with Aloe and Vitamin E! :p

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is that what keeps you fresh between jobs?

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Less chafing and fresh smelling too! :D

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And that's a very good thing (in most cases) as it builds up their immune system at an age when their bodies are generally very strong.

15. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Although its rare I had a friend that lost the use of his arm for a few months from getting a flu shot. The shot just happend to hit something it should not have and for the next few months his arm was limp from the mid forearm down. I have no idea if this is something tat can happen with any shot or just the flu shot but he spoke with 3 doctors that said basically "yeah that can happen don't worry it does ot last"

He wore a wrist brace for months cause he had zero control of his wrist. Not worth it to me but your mileage may vary.

16. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

This has been disgussed in the dungen and the H1N1 vacinne has caused some issue with a brain disease something Barr I think. The thing that messes us up with H1N1 is it is killing "young" people 20 to 30 year olds which seems a little odd,

17. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I wasn't worried about till tonight. I just returned from classes at Penn State and now I'm a bit worried about my 5 year old starting Kindergarten. This is what the school is saying,
    - 25%-50% of the population will contract the H1N1 virus.
    -The possibility of up to 90,000 deaths
    -Ages 5-25 the most affected
    -University of Kansas had 20 cases a week ago, as of today 45. All of those students have been quarantined.
    -Penn State policy, if your sick you are to go home for a minimum of a week. Not the dorm. Home home.

Now I'm wondering if I should have my 5 year old start school or not. That is just an initial concern, I'll see how I feel about in the morning after talking with some neighbors who are doctors and our pediatrician.

18. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Get your kids started on taking echinacea and drinking a couple cups of garlic tea every week-before they get sick. Skip the vaccine.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I wanted to reply but have refrained so far.

But in the end...people get sick and die. You can't control everything. Live life to its fullest at every moment possible.

20. Rx3

Rx3 1%