1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 GSXR 600 won't start...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gmaniac, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Gmaniac

Gmaniac Well-Known Member

Bike ran fine 2 weeks ago. Battery seems to be good, the gauge cluster gets power, the fuel pump primes, put it in "N" and pull in the clutch (eliminates possibility of problem with kickstand switch), and....absolutely nothing happens.

Dealer mode shows code C00 = no issues

Only thing I've done recently is replace the clipons, so I have disconnected removed the left hand controls, but the right controls remain. Anyone ever had a starter switch go bad? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Check the switch that is activated by the clutch lever. If the pin inside it doesnt release all the way it wont start.

3. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

look under/around the clip on area. there are two wires coming from the startor switch housing. are they connected? at least try taking them off and putting them back on or clean the stator switch inside the startor switch housing.

4. KoalaFD

KoalaFD Well-Known Member

The GSX-Rs have a sensor in those left hand controls that tells the bike if the clutch is in or not. If it doesn't know that the clutch is in (like you disconnected the sensor), the bike won't start.

But!

Don't jump the wires to make it always think the clutch is in. The ECU will think its in all the time and your bike will be ass slow. You have to hook it up to a switch somehow.

5. tjkershner

tjkershner Well-Known Member

Ditto--I had this problem earlier when i was messing with my clip ons. To Isolate the issue, pull off the leads coming from the clutch lever (2 wires on one clip) and jump them..don't leave them like that like Koala says, but that will tell you if that's the problem. If it starts then, you just need to check why the lever isn't pushing far enough to engage the switch...

6. Gmaniac

Much appreciated guys.

Stator wires are connected. It's almost definitely the clutch switch. It is releasing the pin all the way, BUT there is no cable or connector there to relay the information b/c I removed the hand controls and wiring from that side. Apparently not the brightest idea...

So here's the new problem. It sounds like you need the hand control unit there for this to work. The male plug for that clutch switch is tied into (and removed) with the hand control and harness. So do I need to reinstall the left hand control unit -or- is there a way to wire it directly into the harness (without the hand control unit)???

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You will either need to reinstall the LH switch pod or install a start only switch which you activate to start the bike then release. If you jump the clutch switch in the harness you initiate the neutral fuel/ignition map and you lose lots of power.

Easy answer - put the switch pod back on.

8. Gmaniac

When you say switch pod, you mean the entire LH control unit right?

I had a feeling that was gonna be the answer, if only I still had the damn thing. Ah well, to the classifieds...

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Put he controls on... trace the wires to the clutch only and peel those from the harness all the way to the plug behind the radiator.. Ditch everything else but keep those two wires in and your good. All of the other wires will pop out of the yellow connector behind the radiator very easy..