Monticello Raceway 7/3 with STT

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Dave_SV, Jun 19, 2009.

1. GoodKnight

GoodKnight Well-Known Member

That doesn't make me feel good.

2. So someone crashed and did not get killed or injured, and people are possibly going to point to that and say that the track is safe. Just keep in mind that many people have crashed at the IOM and Macau without being injured, but that does not mean that they are up to the modern standards of race track safety. I agree with those who say that by riding there, you are just encouraging people to build unsafe tracks, and also saying to owners of unsafe tracks that it is ok if they don't make improvements. Money talks.

3. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up Todd, I was scrambling around in the morning and got caught up with stuff during the day. Glad to hear you had a good time though. I think you were pitted across the paddock from me, I had the camo EZ-Up next to the white enclosed trailer. I make a cameo at 5:45 in the 2nd video posted on your site, black bike with blue tank and the sweet looking yellow leathers :D

I feel like I pushed the pace in the morning and lost my focus as the day wore on. I also had a couple close calls in the first session after lunch and I really pulled back after that. The track was just bugging me all day and I figured I would take it easy instead of trying to push it and crash.

A couple of other things that bothered me in no particular order:

Track gates did not open until 7:15-7:20 or so. We were told that the track personnel (not STT) showed up late and the gates couldn't be opened until they got there. There was a long line of vehicles on the road in front of the track and it kind of sucked to sit there.

STT said that limited power would be available in the paddock. I was the second vehicle inside the gate and the first thing I am told is there is NO power available to anyone except the tire vendor. I should have rented a generator but it still sucks that no one at STT knew what the deal was at the track. I was running slicks with no tire warmers so power would have been nice.

The track was wet with standing water for half the day on the inside of almost all the right hand corners. The water could have been cleared out to the infield to allow the track to dry faster but no one tried.

Pit out was a joke. They had cones stretching for the entire right hand corner before the front straight, literally for a couple hundred feet on the OUTSIDE of the corner. If someone is riding down the pit out lane and another rider loses the front in the same corner both riders are going to be in a world of hurt if they hit.

Someone else asked about the possibility of pushing the armco back. It may be possible in certain situations but the course has a lot of elevation changes. In some places the elevation changes drastically a few feet past the barriers. Not sure how you would push the armco back in these places, maybe some airfence instead. The worst corner for me was the right hand turn leading onto the front straight. It's a really fast blind corner and about 2/3 of the way through the armco is really close. Behind the armco there is a large building as well.

I hope I'm not coming off as super critical because the day was okay. STT did fine running the day and the track personnel were cool and didn't give me a hard time for anything. I would try the track again if the worst of the bumps were smoothed out (I'm looking at you T1 and T2) and either the armco moved back where possible or airfence or both. Hopefully those changes are put into place soon so I can give it another go. If the South course is ever available I would give it a try so I could make my own evaluation there as well.

4. CockSucker

CockSucker Well-Known Member

To All,

i was at the event on Friday. It was great!!!! The track is technical and fast at the same time if u know the proper line. I didnt find the issue with the armco an issue at all. I felt that there was plenty of space to run off and stop b4 u hit anything. The videos are deceiving and dont actually depict the true depth of the armco from the track. Sorry but u have to be there to actually see it with ur own eyes and i cant describe it bc it is one of those things u just have to see for urself. STT did a great job organizing the event. There was a couple of incidents but nothing crazy. There was a lot of track time for all groups. I would recommend this track to every1. I felt it was safe for me and i would definitly go back there again. Cant wait for the next event there.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can the people posting reviews tell us what their racing experience is, especially those who feel it's safe?

6. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

No racing experience here, this is the 3rd year I have been doing trackdays and I figure I have done 25 or so total.

7. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

[dick mode] Sorry but I have a hard time taking anyone seriously on ANY topic when they list all the mods done to their bike in their signature. It screams SQUID! it may fly on gixxer dot com or whatever but on this forum you are pretty much telling everyone you have no clue [/dick mode]

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, I must be a dick too.

Anytime I see those signatures here, the content of the post is automatically dismissed if it's motorcycle-related.

9. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Pace has nothing to do with the potential for injury from hitting a stationary object. In fact based on my experience of running and instructing track days over the last 10 or so years it's the slower groups who actually have an increased amount of risk when running on a track with insuficient run off. The riders with the least amount of experience are the ones most likely to get in too hot (relatively speaking) and stand it up and run off the track or panic and grab a handful of breaks and low side it. Being desensitised to stationary objects from riding on the street only means that your ability to accurately judge the level of risk involved with riding at a place like Monticello is diminished as well. Track day providors have a responsibility to make these types of safety decisions on your behalf based on their years of experience as well. I find it INSANELY distasteful that in this case the org in question decided to put that decision in the hands of the people with the least amount of experience and will undoubtedly declare the day a success since no one was hurt or killed.

10. DSM79

DSM79 Well-Known Member

Sorry to whore this thread but I noticed that the September dates were pulled from STT's schedule. IMO, viewing the on board video, the track doesn't look anymore dangerous than thunderbolt. Anyway, I would like to try this track, my brother and I each own homes on a small lake not 10 minutes from the complex so it would be nice to have a good reason to go as we both live in Virginia. And Monticello is a shit hole! So if anyone wants a free place to stay for future events on a lake with a boat and great fishing just let me know.

11. lomo2surf

lomo2surf Well-Known Member

12. lomo2surf

lomo2surf Well-Known Member

this was from Tony from Tony's track day - he is right behind me in the last photo...

Around a 1:20 was the front of the Advanced group, if I recall.

As for my impression of the safety of the track?

Since moving armco is virtually impossible, I'd like to see some airfence in the higher speed areas.

Specifically, I think the danger areas are:

Between Turns 2 and 3. This is high speed arc and a get off here will have you reaching the barriers. There was a small strip of tires, but ideally the whole outside should have tires and the likely impact zones airfence.

Turn 4, the left hander before you go up the hill. Same deal, more tires and a portion of airfence.

Turn 6 (right hander at bottom of the hill). This is one area where you don't want to ride off. If you're in too hot, you're much better to just lean it and hope you lowside. You're coming down that hill with a lot of speed and minimal runoff. Would like to see all tires and airfence in the likely impact.

Turn 8 (long right hander onto the straight). Probably the area I think is most dangerous. Speeds are probably 80mph to 100mph (or will be as soon as the fast guys have it all figured out). Right now there is just a single row of tires against the armco/fence.

I'd like to see airfence, then tires here too.

Overall, I think single bike crashers will be OK with minimal improvements.

I don't allow inside passing in my trackdays, but I think those that do allow it should limit it in a few areas.. at least until there is airfence.

I think the biggest danger a rider faces at this track is being "stood up" and forced to drive off the track...as several areas have no where to go.

Naturally, that type of stuff should not be happening at a trackday, but you know how it is. And as people start to figure this place out... I think you'll see more agressive passing and more tip overs.

Bottom line for me is that the place has potential. Hopefully safety improvements will continue at a brisk pace... and no one will get injured before those improvements are in place.

For now, I'll continue to ride Monticello. But if I usually ride at 95% pace at a trackday... I'll dial it back to 80 to 85% pace in the areas I mentioned above.

13. two4one

two4one Well-Known Member

I understand your point Dutch. If I'm reading your post correctly, you are agreeing with me on street riding equation. Desensitised...absolutely! Will I change my opinion on these issues going further???

Your comment about going in too hot (relatively speaking) is what I was thinking when I referred to pace. For example, a guy in "B" goes into a sketchy turn at 80, stands it up and runs off the track vs. a guy in "A" going in at 100 who also stands it up and runs off the track. They are both bad situations. Obviously the guy going in at 80 has a better chance of not reaching the object but it's still not ideal. Again, I'm not the one to talk to about crashes and how speed effects the outcome. Just trying to clarify my thought process. If armco is too close, it's too close.

14. two4one

two4one Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, the dates were pulled prior to Friday. I looked last week just for the heck of it.

On another note, I'd be willing to pay for a place to stay. That down is a mess! It seems so odd to have a "country club" track complete with $100,000 cars a couple miles from a town that hasn't paved their main street in 30 years. I thougt some WV towns were bad!

15. DSM79

DSM79 Well-Known Member

Monticello has been dismal since I was a kid going up there with my parents 20 years ago and hasn't changed a lick since. If the dates come back, there is no need to pay me for a room. I own the house and as long as you are respectful of the house, just come and have a good time. The house is on the south shore of Lake Wanaksink, and has 5 bedrooms, 2 of which have two single beds, so there is plenty of room. How far is the track from the horse track anyway?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The track is at the old airport property.

17. DSM79

DSM79 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Thank You Sir.

18. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I don't post here much, but I feel obligated to give my opinion on Monticello. I've been riding 18 years, but only been doing track days the last two and I'm in the novice group. That means all you hardcore guys may stop reading and dismiss me as a noob.

First, let me throw a big thanks to DOUG Instructor #3 who finally helped me with my right turn issue!

The only complaint I had was the last right hand sweeper over the hill and on to the main straight. There was definite possibility to lowside as you crested the hill and there should be airfence or something to catch you. Other than that, I never felt unsafe and never noticed armco "10 feet from the track". Makes sense since most people wouldn't risk a ferrari with zero runoff room.

The only bump I hit in 1-2 was the curb on the left side. I thought the track was very smooth and I'm curious where this speedbump of a seam is located? I will also agree that someone should have swept some of the water at the turn apexes (very noticeable in T3). Sweeping some of the dirt dragged oto the track from setting up the tire walls would have been a plus as well. The track doesn;t 'flow', but it was a blast to ride and really worked both left and right handers. I'm in LOVE with throwing it left into 4 and heading up the hill leaned all the way over. I'd like to try both the north and full courses, but I'd def go back to this one again.

Can't really comment on the facilities. Paddock was tight and we weren't really allowed to use the clubhouse or wander around. It was the nicest porta potty I've ever been in though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  19. CockSucker

CockSucker Well-Known Member

who made u the judge to determine pples riding skill and ability just bc u see an signature on someones comment? thats like judging a book by its cover. That is a true display of how inept your ability is to listen to others opinions bc u think urs is the best and always right. U never been there to talk anything. u should not speak unless u have the experience on being on the track urself and then u could comment on this thread. All ur going off of is what others say. Speak from experience and not speculation about this track. No one was racing at the event, the event was a track day it is meant to have fun and enjoy what we all like to do which is to ride. For those of us who like to enjoy riding without going over our heads then the track is not a problem thats all i was saying.

:crackhead:

20. danch

danch Well-Known Member

The faster 'A' guy is less likely to stand up and run off the track, I think. He's probably tried that at 80 and didn't like the outcome!