1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA Vintage Grand Championships

Discussion in 'General' started by Thekd2, May 26, 2009.

1. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

There have been some discussions on the Vintage Grand Championships, cost, awards and whatnot. I talked to them today and they are trying to make the event the same as it historically has been. Not official but looks like event entry will cover admission credentials and a set for a crew member (horay). They are also discussing the issue of the Modern Class not being considered for the number 1 plate awards. They are also checking into the talk of being charged for pit parking and having a pit bike. If there are any other issues that would be keeping people from attending please let it be known.

Thanks

2. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

Is anyone planning on attending???

3. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

Just updated there is no charge for parking in the paddock or to have a pit bike. GOOD NEWS

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I'm going to race there because its my home track, and if Wera is running it, I might get more than 6 laps of combined racing and practice. I'm glad the fees are going to be knocked down a bit, but I'm not sure why modern classes would be eligible for the Vintage championship (I'm running a modern bike). It would be nice if it paid NC points however...

5. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

I'm planning on it and I've heard several others are too, even Silo Pete.

Hopefully the pits will be more spacious this year, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. :)

6. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

6 laps with or without an oiled track? :)

7. x_files

x_files Active Member

All the oil dry reminded me of my younger days riding the dusty back roads in Brown County - also allowed me to move up to 2nd in Formula 1!

WERA running the show is a welcome change. I'll be there wielding the Hamamatsu Hammer for at least one more year.

8. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

Here is the skinny on the event. Email I received from the guy running the event (Kevin Crowther)

Hi Todd,

Just want to confirm a few things.......
    • All Roadrace classes will be for AMA National number 1 plates, including the modern classes. The modern classes will not be eligible for the Grand Champion award.
    • If a rider pre enters the event his/her entry fee will include two event hot passes (one for the rider and one for crew/guest) This is the same as it was last year.
    • There is no extra fee for paddock parking or pit-bikes
    • If a motorhome is your tow vehicle then it will be allowed in the paddock. If your motorhome is separate from your race package then you will be charged a $55/$60 camping fee

I have also listed below the facility rules from Mid Ohio....

Competitor Facility Rules - VMD

1. No pets of any kind are permitted at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
    2. Staking of awnings is not permitted on the asphalt. Please use weights to secure your awnings.
    3. Personal vehicles are not permitted in any of the paddock areas.
    4. Personal golf carts (those not rented from Golf Car and Equipment) require a $100 vehicle pass. All golf carts must be operated by a licensed driver.
    5. Motorized vehicles are not permitted on spectator mounds.
    6. No scooters are permitted to leave the paddock area at any time unless to attend an authorized function.
    7. For safety concerns, no bicycles are permitted at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
    8. No personal “off road” vehicles or ATVs are permitted on Mid-Ohio property.
    9. No firearms are permitted on Mid-Ohio property.
    10. All photographic, video and digital images taken during any track event, including those featuring spectators or competitors, whether made or purchased by Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course or its affiliates, are property of Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and may be used in advertising and promotional materials at its sole discretion..
    11. Hospitality should be arranged through the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course catering department. If outside catering is brought in, teams will be charged a $2,500 catering buyout fee.
    12. If a competitor or crew member leaves the paddock area for any reason, please remember to take your credential with you. Proper credentials are to be shown to gate personnel to allow access to the paddock areas by everyone, no exceptions.
    13. Paddocks must be cleared by 10:00pm on Sunday evening.
    14. Racing engines shall not be run after 10:00pm or before 6:30am
    15. Please secure your car/trailer/equipment and other valuables. Do not leave your paddock area without securing your belongings.
    16. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course is not responsible for damage to personal property.
    17. Failure to abide by these rules may result in expulsion from the premises.

I hope this clears up some things. Let me know if you have any other questions.....

They are working hard to make the event as good as possible. I applaud them listening and responding. Lets fill the grids!!!!! If you have never been to this event it is truly awesome. I believe like 70,000 people attend. Its great to go out to the track and see tons of spectators watching.

PEACE

9. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

Note it says you get two passes for pre-entry so make sure everyone pre-enters. Also gridding is by pre-entry so if your gonna do it I'd do it soon.

10. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

Remember Pre Entry gets you a pass for yourself and an extra pass, Post Entry you just get a pass for yourself. Also remember gridding is by pre-entry order for both days.

11. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

12. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

Good to hear Pete. It should be a great event.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

Do we have to show up on Thursday and Friday in order to race on Saturday and Sunday? ..... Some of us work 9-5 Mon-Fri

14. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

No show up Sat. or Sun and race, friday is practice if you choose to partake and pay for it.

15. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

Will there be a race school offered as at other WERA races or was the no race school directive at Mid-Ohio in past years an AMA (or track) driven thing?

Jim

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There won't be a WERA riders school, this isn't really a good first event.

17. Thekd2

Thekd2 Well-Known Member

I believe historically AHRMA wouldn't let anyone run the event as their first event. That may have changed in the last year or so.

18. redducman996

redducman996 must go faster

Did anyone get a answer to Joe's question. Does it pay out NC points......SEAN:Poke:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it will - Vintage and whichever of the modern stuff we run. I'll get a list together next week.

20. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Awesome! Now Flis, bring it on! (Since I should get to start in front of you for a change)