1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 GSXR600 or 05 CBR600RR for track

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by notoriousroc1, Jun 17, 2009.

1. notoriousroc1

notoriousroc1 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I currently have an 07 GSXR600 that I ride on the street, and I just recently picked up a 2005 CBR600RR that I plan to use on the track being as though it only came with a bill of sale. A few of the track riders and racers I know tell me the CBR wont last on the track and will get smoked. I refuse to track the GSXR being as though it is street legal and I would hate to drop it. Based on your guys' expertise, do you recommended I suck it up and track the 600RR or sell it for something made for the track, like an R6? I'm not really going to race for a while, I just want to get out there and do some trackdays and learn basically.

2. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Ride the CBR and smoke your friends by riding it well. It's a great track bike...in fact was my favorite to date.

3. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I like the CBR on the track as well. It's a very dependable bike that you won't have to work on all the time either.

4. jdwilliamson33

jdwilliamson33 Well-Known Member

Ride the cbr 600. You probably got it cheap, have fun with it and do a bunch of trackdays and get good and fast. Then sell it and in a year or two and get something you can get faster on. my 2 cent

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Everything that they said.. That bike does everything wel. It's not the fastest, or best handling or best brakes but it's a 8 or 9 out of 10 in every catagory and it's easy to ride.

6. scrambling280

scrambling280 Well-Known Member

I bought an 06 600rr same bike, track only. I took it to the NSS a month ago and was turning faster times after my first session than on previous bike. Monte is right its a great bike and improvements can be made..

7. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

8. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

i rode my 05 600rr until this season. i loved that bike. as far as brakes. better than my suzuki, if you take the bike to eric at west hills honda he will map it for you. use good race fuel and power will not be an issue. gearing is a must on any 600. the honda is stable and solid. if your getting smoked it's not because of the bike.

find blake kelly on here. ask him about his 05. he liked it better than the 07 and put down 58's at beaver with it, and won a few races. it's a very capable bike.:up:

9. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

the cbr is a good track bike!! you're tripping over nothing! whoever told you what they told you was misinformed.

10. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Unless you are on TV or one of the very few that can make a living hunting contingency you'd be better off putting your money into descent suspension, tires, and track time instead of a bike that is 4.5764 ounces lighter and makes 1.984521 more HP.

All of the jap bikes are so close it's silly, you're not going to be 5 seconds faster on a GSXR vs. a CBR. It comes down to personal preference, if YOU like the CBR, track it. It will just be that much sweeter when you smoke your friends on your "inferior" bike.

11. victorSCP

victorSCP Active Member

i think the cbr feels lighter and easier to manuvere on a track. i have a 07 750 and that thing is heavy but either these guys are right its so close that it doesnt matter

12. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Track the CBR.

A) You wont care so much when you crash it.

B) Unless you are a rare exception and have racing experience on something else besides a streetbike, then during your first 10 track days you could probably go just as fast on an old clapped out SV 650 never mind a shiny new Gixxer.

C) Since you do not have a lot of spare cash (if you did you wouldnt care bout crashing your shiny Gixxer) then start small and simple. If your buddy asks you to go to a track day and you cant afford it cause you are trying to pay for a full system/power commander/quick shifter/fancy rims/paint job/etc etc then you are making the wrong choices.

D) If after 20 track days you still have money to burn then enroll in a school....if you still have extra cash the first upgrade is suspension.

13. notoriousroc1

notoriousroc1 Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. I appreciate all the great responses guys. I'm just considering, it would be better to put money into a bike that comes better prepped for the track. Like an 06+ R6, with a slipper clutch and steering damper stock. You believe, with decent skills I can be just as fast on this RR than on an R6. I would also like to race the bike, being a good rider, I couldn't do more damage with a bike made for the track??? What do you think?

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

a better tool will always help you go faster, but you will be the limiting factor for a long time before the bike makes a difference. a long time. this is like asking if you want a $2,000 Gibson Les Paul as your first guitar, or a $300 mexican made fender strat copy. Sure, you could go forever without needing anything better than teh gibson, but it would literally take years for the cheap fender knock-off to limit how good you get. it's all practice.

if you're talking VALUE, it's always cheaper to buy someone else's bike all hopped up than build your own - but if you're talking about selling a stock '05 RR and going to a stock '06 R6, the change would be negligible under all but the most skilled rider.

you'll see what we're talking about when guys on much older bikes are passing you on that '05 your first time out. It happens to everyone. the definition of "good rider" changes a lot after your first trackday.

check laptimes in the V7 races, and look at the bikes they're running.

15. MBGSXR

MBGSXR Well-Known Member

I have rode both, 07 600 GSXR / and a 06CBR600rr.. In all reality they are both great bikes... Just depends on the rider for real.. I like my GSXR better for track, but thats just me. and thats based on my personal feeling on the bike. weight, bar positioning and what not..