1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Prevent Overnight Theft?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andrewf125, May 26, 2009.

1. Cyrick21

Cyrick21 Active Member

Anytime I have stayed in a hotel with my bike, I have pulled it in the room with me.

I've only had a hotel complain once, but they accepted us pulling them in there as we assured them we weren't going to be starting them in the room

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Well, my bike was insured so it was less stress but I usually left it on the trailer and used a Kryptonite cable and lock to lock the bike to the trailer. Had quality tongue-pin lock on the tongue and a quality lock holding the hitch in.

Then it was parked under a light in view from the window in my room... at a distance where I was accurate with the associated firearm I had in the room. :D

And I worried more about my tools being stolen than the bike. Some were in the cab of the truck and some were in the room.

3. LDH

LDH Well-Known Member

I pull a trailer most of the time, but when I do the long hauls like the 2500+ miles to Barber I did a couple months ago I just throw the bike in the back of the truck & drive like hell (for 31 hours).

For starters I pick my hotel locations very carefully usually looking for something a bit more secure with good lighting in the parking lot and a bit less obvious to locals passing by to be able to see the bike in plain sight. Like in the back of a hotel complex that does not have a freeway overpass etc looking down onto the lot.

I make sure I can get a parking spot right in front of the room and I park the truck in a way that I can see the bike through a small gap in the curtains so I can glance at it periodically. I bring in the expensive stuff like the generator and new tires/wheels and I also use a Kryptonite cable along with a Krypto disk lock to secure the bike and the aluminum loading ramp (which makes hella noise if you move it) to the truck bed.

Lastly I give up some freedom when I travel with the bikes. Even when they are in the trailer I don't generally go out and have a nice long dinner or go shopping or any shit like that when I am on a trip to the track unless the bike is securely parked at the track! I basically shortchange myself so that I don't afford some low life fuckin thief the opportunity to snag my stuff while I am totally oblivious inside Charlie's Steak House...

4. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Either in the room with you, or the time I had to leave it in the bed of my truck, I put my xena XX10 alarm disc lock on it. That thing sounds off a 120db alarm at the slightest movement.

it's an 09 model and it's all self contained, inside, so you can't access the speaker from the outside like the older models. I keep it on the rear so you can't pick the front end up and drag it away.

5. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I lock it up in my toyhauler and sleep with double 0 buck in my 12 ga.

6. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

Check ouot the videos on this link that show guys cutting "undefeatable" chains in less than a minute:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

For me, tools and riding gear goes into the van or motel room, spare wheels get locked up, and I take a wheel off the bike. That means a bad guy working alone can't move it.

7. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

That's nuts how quick he got through that!! I didn't think you would be able to do it with out a torch of some kind.

Scary!!!

A lot of times I get home late and my storage facility is closed. I need to park in a very quiet industrial area due to parking regulations. I hate to do it but there's no real option.

Last week I went out in the morning ot find a junkie passed out on the sidewalk half a block down, but atleast my bike and car were still there!

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

next time you go to Barber,let me know, I got a shortcut for ya.

9. Indetrucks

Indetrucks Well-Known Member

Have you ever done this yourself?
    I think most jobs are inside and this screams.. "hey that truck over there, it's got my bikes in it and they're all yours"

10. sdg

sdg *

I did work security in college - and the majority of us were actually reasonably decent people...

11. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I always stay at the track. Much easier that way. The one time did have to get a room, only because the trailer bearings went out right after leaving the CMP on the way home, I parked it on the strip of grass/gravel across the street from the Camden, SC police station right next to their cars. :D